Restore a Client to Local HD Drive on Server?

Is it possible to to perform a complete restore of a Client to an empty drive on the Backup Server, then install that drive in the Client machine?

I am trying to avoid the complication of first having to load the exact version of Mac OS that the Client was running in order to perform a net restore.

Configuration:

Backup Server - B&W G3 OS 10.3.5, Retrospect 6 Desktop

Bank of 4 FireWire HDs in removable Trays

Both Clients configured to backup to same media set

Client 1 - G5 Dual 2G OS 10.3.5, Retrospect Client

Client 2 - G4 Dual 1G OS 10.2.8, Retrospect Client

Thanks,

Eric

Quote:

Is it possible to to perform a complete restore of a Client to an empty drive on the Backup Server, then install that drive in the Client machine?

Yes. Although there was a report recently on MacIntouch suggesting that if the client had system updates applied after its first backup, the Restore may not boot (this is apparently due to Apple changing the location of files that symbolic links point to, which confuses Retrospect).

The solution to this might be to set Retrospect's preference to "Match only same location" before your backups.

Dave

Quote:

The solution to this might be to set Retrospect's preference to "Match only same location" before your backups.

Thanks Dave, for your input and pointing out the comment on Macintouch. I already use the "Match only same location" preference but for a different reason. I am backing up Mac work stations for a small Video/Graphics studio where the creativity is unbridled until it comes to naming files (same file name, different folder, slightly different content).

Until now I have only been using Retrospect to backup User files, then using Carbon Copy Cloner for OS and apps. I lost confidence in Retrospect's ability to deal with the intricacies of OS X in version 5.1 when I tried several times to use Retrospect's copy function to clone a OS X boot drive with no success. I would rather not have to go through the additional process of Carbon Copy Cloning, but I need confidence that I will be able to make a complete bootable recovery from a disaster within 6-7 hours. Have you had complete success restoring an entire OS X drive from Retrospect? What's your confidence level that the "Match only same location" preference will resolve restoring a drive with system updates to OS X?

Thanks & Regards,

Eric

Archived