Excluding Caches Files and a Sub-Directory

Ikrananka

I normally backup to an external hard drive with my files selection set to "All files excluding cache files". I recently ran out of backup disk space and tried a recycle backup only to find that I now have too much on my source drive to backup onto my external drive. What I would like to do is to simply keep my files selection as "All files excluding cache files" but also exclude some specific sub-directories (these sub-dirctories contain data that I already have safely on DVD-R and do not change). This would allow my backups to be small enough to fit onmy external drive.

Can anyone enlighten me on how I can do this please?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

The "direct" answer would be to modify the "All files excluding cache files" selector, but Dantz advises users to leave the included selectors alone since they may modify it in future releases. So what I do is create a new custom selector (e.g. "All files excluding cache files and some other junk") that first *Includes* the "All files excluding cache files" selector and then *Excludes" files, directories, etc. that you don't want in the backup set. Then use that custom selector with your script.

Archived