Extremely slow performance

tromble

Hello,

Yesterday I made the first backup after installing Professional 6.5 on a new desktop computer with a NEC-1300 RW DVD. I backed up 5 GB at a rate of 170MB/min. However, I recieved several error messages (namely 1020).

Tech support suggested I do another full backup today and see if I recieved the same error messages. I selected options and chose to reset the archive bit but all other settings were the same as the initial backup.

To my chagrin, the backup perfornance dropped to 22MB/min to backup the same 5GBs. Does anyone know why I experienced such a dramatic drop in perfornance? What can I do on the next backup to improve the backup performance?

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Tim

Quote:

Howard,

I have used a HDD backup for over a year and it stays very consistent on the performance rate. I have never encountered this before. Maybe it has something to do with a DVD drive vs. a HDD.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Tim

I've been backing up to hard drives and seen the degredation.

IMHO, the problem started, or was exacerbated, about the time of a Retrospect update late last year.

All Dantz has done is deny any problem.

Hi

I haven't seen the degredation either and I backup to both HDD and CD-R. Have all of your subsequent backups dropped to the low speed? Does the slow speed seem to be limited to a particular disc?

If it continues to be slow we can try installing ASPI as it may work better with your drive.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

I haven't seen the degredation either and I backup to both HDD and CD-R. Have all of your subsequent backups dropped to the low speed? Does the slow speed seem to be limited to a particular disc?

If it continues to be slow we can try installing ASPI as it may work better with your drive.

Thanks

Nate

In my case, as all my hard drives are SCSI, it would not make sense to use ASPI.

The backup drive is USB.

I did a Recycle backup on 8 Sept 2004. The backup and verify took 10:55:44 at a rate of 98.5

From 9 sept 2004 until today, I did Normal backup and verify to that same drive. The times ranged from 21:11 to 26:40 at a rate of 86.4 to 118.3.

For the Normal backups, I'd say that about half the time is for snapshots, most of which is for drive on which the OS lives.

I no longer have the histories for the pre-Sept 8 backups.

When I first got Retrospect in June 2003, I also did a backup to the hard drive using BUMP. As I, and others, have previously reported in these forums, BUMP us almost twice as fast as Retrospect. That difference in speed cannot be accounted for by the functional differences in the algorithms used. There just has to be a bottleneck somewhere in Retrosoect.

Hello Howard,

I was responding to Tromble - that's why I suggested trying ASPI. I know you have already tried that for your DVD drive.

Are you using a custom drive configuration? I find that to be slower than native drive support in Retrospect. I think the custom drivers build 100 meg chunks of data on disk and then burns them to CD. That prep time slows down the burn a lot.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hello Howard,

I was responding to Tromble - that's why I suggested trying ASPI. I know you have already tried that for your DVD drive.

Are you using a custom drive configuration? I find that to be slower than native drive support in Retrospect. I think the custom drivers build 100 meg chunks of data on disk and then burns them to CD. That prep time slows down the burn a lot.

Thanks

Nate

i cannot tell from the above to whom the message is addressed.

i do not have a dvd drive, tho i did try aspi a bit ago.

Nate,

I don't have a clue by what is meant by ASPI. Presently my drive is ATAPI. Today I downloaded the latest firmware version for the NEC-1300A thinking that might improve things. No change.

In addition to the degraded performance, when Retro prompts me to insert the next DVD it will not eject the current one. The only way I can get the DVD ejected is to stop the backup execution and close Retrospect. Only then will the drive eject the Disc.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Tim

Quote:

Nate,

I don't have a clue by what is meant by ASPI. Presently my drive is ATAPI. Today I downloaded the latest firmware version for the NEC-1300A thinking that might improve things. No change.

In addition to the degraded performance, when Retro prompts me to insert the next DVD it will not eject the current one. The only way I can get the DVD ejected is to stop the backup execution and close Retrospect. Only then will the drive eject the Disc.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Tim

Do not insert the disk until AFTER Retrospect is ready to use the disk.

If you insert the disk too soon, it is possible that your CD/DVD eriting software will grab ownership of the drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Nate,

Dantz support had me change the environment from NT Passthrough to ASPI but it did nothing to improve my performance nor address my problem of not ejecting the DVD.

we changed back to NT Passthrough (SCSI).

Does the brand of media present any problems? I have been using Memorex +RW media. I suppose I could try a different brand of media. As regards your thought that my editing software might be taking ownership of the drive, I am going to check Task Manager on my next BU attempt and see if something is running in the background that might be conflicting.

Tim

Quote:

Nate,

Dantz support had me change the environment from NT Passthrough to ASPI but it did nothing to improve my performance nor address my problem of not ejecting the DVD.

we changed back to NT Passthrough (SCSI).

Does the brand of media present any problems? I have been using Memorex +RW media. I suppose I could try a different brand of media. As regards your thought that my editing software might be taking ownership of the drive, I am going to check Task Manager on my next BU attempt and see if something is running in the background that might be conflicting.

Tim

The media is not a factor. Just use media recommended by the drive manufacturer.

It is software such as InCD or Drag2Disk that gloms on to the drive.

There's nothing you can do about this, other than not inserting the media until Retrospect is ready to accept the media.

Archived