LaCie 8x d2 DVD±RW Double Layer (ND-2510A version) CD/DVD Does Not Work

On a Macintosh Dual G5 2.5 and on a Macintosh B&W G3 400 the device, LaCie 8x d2 DVD±RW Double Layer (ND-2510A version) CD/DVD, does not work in Retrospect.

Under OS X 10.3.5 I am using Retrospect 6.0.193 and Driver Update 5.8.103. It is claimed that this driver update supports the LaCie device, and in the list of qualified devices, the LaCie is listed.

However, although Toast 6 Titanium has no trouble with the drive, Retrospect cannot write AT ALL to either a DVD-R, DVD+R or a CD-R (the only ones I tried)!! Retrospect's device window lists the device, but Retrospect is not able to do anything at all other than eject. On the Dual G5, if I try to do a custom configuration, Retrospect gets as far as stating that it is determining what write-methods work and then Retrospect hangs using 100% of one processor's CPU cycles and 20% of the other's. Retrospect can only be Force-Quit. If I try to do a backup, Retrospect gets as far as telling me to Please wait ... and then uses up CPU cycles in the same way it did during custom configuration.

I look forward to a happy resolution to this problem, but I fear the worst. There's no-one to talk to at Dantz who doesn't want more money to discuss what to do about Dantz's faulty software.

I am not a happy camper. mad.gif

Hi

We're happy to work with you free of charge on the forum!

Toast and Retrospect use very different methods to write to disks. Its not uncommon for Toast to work well even when the drive has trouble writing with Retrospect.

Since the drive is supported in Retrospect you shouldn't need to run the auto configuration wizard. Delete any .rdi files in the Retropsect preferences folder or program folder.

What is the error you get when you try to burn to this drive with Retrospect?

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

There's no-one to talk to at Dantz who doesn't want more money to discuss what to do about Dantz's faulty software.

Maybe you should be looking for someone who will talk to you about a faulty DVD burner?

The fact that the device fails on two different computers suggests the possibility that the drive is not able to perform the packet writing that Retrospect is asking it to do. This is a different operation then Toast uses (Track At Once and/or Disk At Once), so success in that program is not related to the failures you're seeing in this one.

Have you called LaCie?

Dave

Quote:

Quote:

There's no-one to talk to at Dantz who doesn't want more money to discuss what to do about Dantz's faulty software.

Maybe you should be looking for someone who will talk to you about a faulty DVD burner?

The fact that the device fails on two different computers suggests the possibility that the drive is not able to perform the packet writing that Retrospect is asking it to do. This is a different operation then Toast uses (Track At Once and/or Disk At Once), so success in that program is not related to the failures you're seeing in this one.

Have you called LaCie?

Dave

Thanks for your interest.

A significant thing here is that Retrospect also fails on two different DVD drives on the same computer, the internal Pioneer and the external LaCie.

From what I have been told, Dantz will use track-at-once if packet writing is not available. They prefer packet writing for the speed improvement it brings to the backup process, but if it is not available, they will use track-at-once.

The other significant thing here is that Retrospect will hang when attempting to create a custom configuration on both DVD drives. It doesn't report failure; it just hangs.

And finally, yes, I've talked to LaCie. Their information is that both drives are at this time incompatible with Retrospect. The fact that the custom-configuration operation doesn't simply report failure but instead loops permanently using all the processor cycles of one of my CPUs is an indication to me of a software problem.

• 2 years later...

I also have the same problem with my Dual 2.0 G5 and both the internal DVD burner as well as an external La Cie D2 dual layer drive.

Retrospect pretends to do the formatting and then simply hangs, there is not even a hint of DVD access activity on the front of the La Cie. All I can do is hit the 'stop' button and have it tell me that what is was pretending to do failed.

Has this been addressed yet, lo these 3 years later?

Jorgedv@gmail.com

Quote:

I also have the same problem...

The best I can take away from this post (which omits specific information on the make/model/driver of the hardware at issue) is that "the same problem" means that Retrospect doesn't work with some hardware. And, since the hardware it doesn't work with is hardware that's not qualified by either the software publisher or the hardware manufacturer, I don't see how this is something the customer should be surprised by.

Custom configuration is not guaranteed. Drives that are physically incompatible with Retrospect will fail to configure.

Could the configuration routines be more fault tolerant? Sure, I suppose they could be and should be. But it still wouldn't cause the drive to do what Retrospect requires optical burners to do.

Dave

Archived