Trial Version Questions/Problems

SIMON_BROWN

Hello,

I'm currently demo-ing a trial version of Retrospect Single Server and am having a couple of problems. Just wondered if anybody could help please.

I've backed up a couple of machines, and on both of the machines that we've backed up and restored using the disaster recovery, neither machine had all of it's drivers on the CD image. One was missing nearly all and the other had no NIC drivers. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Also, is there any reporting tools that you can use to see a printout/summary of all backup states (i.e. last backup date etc). I've tried the Reports Watcher, but it's not writing anything to the html file. Have I missed something here too?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, as apart from these problems Retrospect seems the best demo I've tried so far whilst looking for a Multiple Desktop Backup solution.

Many Thanks,

Simon.

Hi

The disaster Recovery CD gets the machine up to a bare bones state that you can use to run a full Retstore with Retrospect. Are you saying the machine is mising components after you have run the disaster recovery and the data restore?

Reports watcher converts the contents of the Retrospect backup report into HTML. Chances are all you really need is the backup report. You can enable the backup report in the configure->preferences->notifications->log window.

Thanks

nate

Hi Nate

Yes it's missing drivers (*.dll and *.inf files). It does the basic O/S restore, but is missing drivers like graphics and Network etc. After these are manually installed it does the restore OK, but isn't it supposed to do the first part with drivers?

Which Log window part should I be enabling?

Many Thanks for your help.

Hi

Disaster Recovery has two stages - 16 color mode/ minimal driver set and a full color/full driver set. If your backup device is visible in the first stage you can run the restore at that point. If not you can close Retrospect and the disaster recovery will continue.

I'm sorry if I confused you about the log item. Look in the Retrospect preferences under log.

Thanks

Nate

Archived