LaCie 8x d2 DVD±RW Double Layer (ND-2510A version) CD/DVD Does Not Work

On a Macintosh Dual G5 2.5 and on a Macintosh B&W G3 400 the device, LaCie 8x d2 DVD±RW Double Layer (ND-2510A version) CD/DVD, does not work in Retrospect.

Under OS X 10.3.5 I am using Retrospect 6.0.193 and Driver Update 5.7.104. It is claimed that this driver update supports the LaCie device, and in the list of qualified devices, the LaCie is listed.

However, although Toast 6 Titanium has no trouble with the drive, Retrospect cannot write AT ALL to either a DVD-R or a CD-R!! Retrospect's device window lists the device, but Retrospect is not able to do anything at all other than eject. If I try to do a custom configuration, Retrospect gets as far as stating that it is determining what write-methods work and then Retrospect hangs using 100% of one processor's CPU cycles and 20% of the other's. Retrospect can only be Force-Quit.

I look forward to a happy resolution to this problem, but I fear the worst. crazy.gif

PJ-

I ran across the same problem. Fortunately I had a pack of DVD-r and DVD+r media. The -r media does not work with this drive, but I had no trouble with the +r media. Reading the comments and tech guides about this, it looks like the best thing is to give up and buy +r media for your backups.

I did find a great price on Memorex DVD+r media at techforless.com-- they are "refurbished" packs, but they sell at $50 for 100 disks. Great price, will see if they turn out to be worth it.

Good luck!

Thanks for your interest, natew.

Please post the device details as listed in configure->devices->device status in Retrospect.

ID              Vendor      Product                     Version  Driver

FireWire-A       LITE-ON     LTR-52327S              QS53     Lite-On CD-RW (5.11)

FireWire-A       _NEC         DVD_RW ND-2510A    2.05      NEC DVD DL (5.11) <-- The LaCie Drive

ATAPI-B:0:0    PIONEER    DVD-RW DVR-107D    A707     Pioneer DVD RW (5.11)

This is a firewire device?

Yes.

What other firewire devices are connected to the machine?

The LaCie-branded Lite-On drive listed above and an EZQuest 120gb Cobra hard drive.

Have you tried connecting the device to another port?

No. Ports are all connected to the same bus, and in any case, Toast 6 has no problems with the device where it is currently located.

BTW, today I installed Driver 6 Update 5.8.103, but my problem remains unresolved.

Thanks for your interest, bailyt. If I cannot find a more general solution to the problem -- that is, Dantz produces a driver update that works as advertised! -- I will surely look into the solution that you have found to be successful.

Today I updated to Driver 6 Update 5.8.103, and my problem remains unresolved.

Hi

Our records don't show any specific media incompatibilities. There are often cases where a particular brand or type of media doesn't work optimally with Retrospect. Toast uses a different writing method so you won't see the problems there. Can you try another type of media to see if the problems continue? That will at least narrow the focus of the problem.

Thanks

Nate

I will try DVD+R media, at the suggestion of baileyt.

As for brands of media, I have up-to-48x Maxell CD-Rs, 32x Verbatim CD-RWs, and 8x Verbatim DVD-Rs.

The first works very well with Retrospect on the LaCie 52x-32x-52x CD±RW drive and not at all on the LaCie double-layer drive.

The second works very well with Retrospect on the LaCie CD±RW drive but is advertised not to work on a slower drive, such as the LaCie doube-layer, and doesn't.

The third works with Retrospect on the Apple-provided Pioneer drive (buts oh so slowly due, I guess, to the drive's lack of support for packet writes) and not at all on the LaCie double-layer drive.

Simplified, media that works with Retrospect on the Apple-provided Pioneer drive or the LaCie CD±RW drive do not work on the LaCie double-layer driver, suggesting to me that it is Dantz's faulty support for the double-layer drive that is the issue rather than the media itself. However, I am aware of the ongoing problems of media/device capatibility that are widespread. I have encountered this problem with devices for home theater. So, I suppose it is still possible that the media I have are incompatible with the double-layer drive because Retrospect writes in ways that other applications do not.

The only clear next step that I see is to try some DVD+R media.

I am very appreciative of this discussion with you and baileyt. smile.gif

Well, I bought a spindle of Verbatim 8x DVD+R disks. As a sidenote, for the sample disk in boxes with LaCie drives, and when I have ordered high-speed CD-RWs from LaCie, LaCie has provided Verbatim disks.

But guess what?

Retrospect recognizes the LaCie double-layer device but DOES NOTHING ELSE except use up CPU cycles!!

I put the blame straight on Dantz (to whom I must pay more money if I want to tell them directly that their software is not complete!)!!

I am not a happy camper.

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I hera you loud and clear PJ.

I find the easiest solution is not to swim upstream, fighting the current. I found a solution that works without a hitch for me so I'll stick with that. Waiting for Dantz to fix the problem, well I'm not that young anymore!

Give the +r media a whirl, I expect it will work for you as well. By the way, the dvds from techforless.com came in and they work like a charm!

Hi

We should try another tack here. Since this is working for other users we know the driver isn't completely broken...

Have you tried a backup using clean Retrospect preferences? Have you tried a clean install of Retrospect?

When you run the backup do you wait for Retrospect to ask for media before you insert it or do you put it in ahead of time?

Thanks

nate

Quote:

We should try another tack here. Since this is working for other users we know the driver isn't completely broken...

Have you tried a backup using clean Retrospect preferences? Have you tried a clean install of Retrospect?

When you run the backup do you wait for Retrospect to ask for media before you insert it or do you put it in ahead of time?

Thanks

nate

Yes, I have tried using clean Retrospect preferences.

Yes, I have tried a clean install of Retrospect.

I wait for Retrospect to ask for media.

Result: On my Dual G5 2.5 Ghz under OS X 10.3.5, Retrospect does not work with my FireWire LaCie 8x d2 DVD±RW Double Layer (ND-2510A version) CD/DVD, which Dantz lists as a Qualified device. It hangs at "Please wait ..." after I have inserted DVD+R or DVD-R media.

I certainly appreciate your continued interest in my situation, but what is really called for here is a response by Dantz engineers. I would be happy to talk to them on the phone, and should they call me, I will talk to them at no charge (unlike what would happen were I to call them). My number is in Dantz's records since I am a registered user.

frown.gif

Hi

If you haven't already make sure to try another firewire cable. I'd like to collect some detailed logs if possible. Please follow the steps below:

Preparation:

-Unplug all other firewire devices from the machine

-Remove any "devicexx.rdi" files from your Retrospect preferences folder and program folder.

-Verify that Retrospect driver update 5.8 is installed and loading properly

-Change the log size in Retrospect preferences to 99MB

To collect detailed device logs:

1)Open the special tab in Retrospect.

2)Hold down the option key and click the preferences button. A hidden preferences windows will appear.

3)Under SCSI logging turn on both SCSI logging options. This enables detailed logging for all devices in Retrospect (including firewire)

4)Close the secret preferences window and close Retrospect

5)With no disk in the drive Relaunch Retrospect and go to configure->devices->Environment

6)Click the rescan button

7)Start a backup from the immediate tab and insert media when prompted.

Once this is complete please compress and send the entire Retrospect operations log (/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Operations log) to me at pacrimsupport@dantz.com

Please also send an apple system profile report in text format. You can create this report using the "export" feature of the apple system profile utility.

Thanks

Nate

FWIW- Dantz Support will always refund the cost of a support incident if the cause of the failure is a defect in Retrospect.

Archived