iMac G5 SuperDrive incompatible

I have a new iMac G5 and the Retrospect 6.0.193 (with Driver Update 5.7.104) does not write to DVDs on it. It "successfully" configures itself to use the DVD drive (I've tried twice and created two useless DVDs that appear to have worked). But when I actually go to make an immediate backup, the drive just spins and the progress says "Completed 1 files zero K". I understand that this is a new drive / computer.

I'm hoping that you will have a driver update really soon as this is a default Apple SuperDrive. It's too bad that the auto-config didn't work for this. Does anyone know of a workaround for this drive or know when a driver update might come out?

Here is the info from System Profile:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825

Revision DBN7

I have the same problem on my 2.5Ghz G5, Retrospect 6 worked fine on my 2.0Ghz G5, but I see they are using a different manufacturer (not Pioneer)

I hope there is an answer soon as my business is now left without backup.

System Profile:

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST

Model: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082B

Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW

Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: No

Protocol: ATAPI

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Internal

I guess Apple buys from all over, because in my case my 2.5 Ghz G5 *does* have a Pioneer drive. Retrospect can write to it, but it is oh so slow, probably because Apple chooses not to provide drives that support packet writing. After all the engineering that goes into Apple products, one might think that they would not want to compromise with less than full-featured third party components.

Sigh.

I also have an iMac G5 with that particular drive, but in my case it doesn't even complete the configuration tests. Retrospect writes a few lines about the initial tests, then starts the write test for "method 1". After about 2 minutes the cursor changes into a spinning wheel, and nothing else happens. I left it running for 7 hours, but I had to force-quit Retrospect.

iMac G5 1.8 Ghz

Retrospect 6.0.193

Driver update 5.8.103

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825, revison DBN7

On my previous iMac it took about 9 months before Dantz got the support right for the built-in superdrive...

Archived