Backing up a networked drive with 5.0 on OSX

I've had Restrospect for years but I've not been using it lately to backup another computer on the network. Now I need to. I'm using version 5.0.238 on OSX and the remote drive is mounted on the local network. Retrospect shows the drive in the Backup setup, but when I try to back it up, it shows no files on the remote drive. Why?

Does Dantz now require me to buy a client to backup any network drive? In older versions of Retrospect, I could backup a networked computer, it was just slower than using a client.

Anyway, I have five clients. The disk is labeled "Retrospect Clients 5.1" but the installer says they're version 4 for Mac. I installed a client on the remote system but Retrospect doesn't see it there. The remote system is OS 9.

Okay, I'll follow through slowly and see what happens. But before I start, one question. The Dantz article begins:

"To Create a File Backup Set on a Mounted AFP (AppleShare) Volume:" .....

Are all mounted Mac volumes "AFP" volumes? I'm sharing through an ethernet LAN that contains Windows computers and a Mac G3 running System 9.2. May I have confidence that the G3 is an "AFP (AppleShare)" volume?

Quote:

Are all mounted Mac volumes "AFP" volumes?

No.

If you can mount the server with a URL such as "afp://192.168.1.100" then it's an AFP volume. The same holds true if you enter only the address without specifying a protocol.

In contrast, if you mount a volume with: "smb://192.168.1.102" then that volume is SMB, not AFP.

Unless a 9.2 machine is running third party software then its built-in File Sharing is indeed Apple File Protocol.

Dave

The instructions for backing up a remote AFP volume include the following admonition:

"If you back up a mounted AFP volume using the method listed above, privileges are not preserved and can not be restored. The only way to back up and restore privileges from a volume over a network is to back up the computer using Retrospect Client Software."

What are the ramifications of not preserving privileges on the remote volume I'm backing up? Is this telling me that I really OUGHT to use a Retrospect Client?

Quote:

What are the ramifications of not preserving privileges on the remote volume I'm backing up?

Depends on the files.

When you backup this way, all the files will have the unix permissions of:

-rwxrwxrwx youruser:admin

If the files on the server have a different set of permissions (which they probably will), then the ramifications are that the permissions will change.

For data files, this may not matter at all.

For system files, it matters a great deal; you can't backkup OS X system files and expect to restore them to a working install.

Dave

My goal is to backup a networked OS 9.2 system on an OSX machine. It sounds, then, like there is no harm in using OSX to backup a 9.2 system because 9.2 has no permissions --- every file from 9.2 can be restored, right?

Is there any other gotcha I should consider in backing up 9.2 on a 10.3 machine?

Archived