Disaster Recovery CD and SP2

ieagleye

Dantz's advisory "Using Retrospect with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2" says you must use a SP2 level Windows XP installation CD when creating Disaster Recovery CD to restore a computer with Windows XP with SP2. Almost no one has an original Windows XP CD with SP2. I just bought a Dell computer 2 weeks ago and the OS was XP with SP1. In the Dantz advisory is a link to a site with excellent instructions for creating a CD with integrated XP and SP2. The problem is won't work if your XP CD has SP1. Attempting the integration process results in the error message: "The Service Pack cannot be integrated into a destination that has integrated Software Updates."

So. I guess that there are many of us who have have installed SP2 and made Retrospect Disaster Recover CD's. We will have a most unpleasant surprise if the unfortunate event should occur where we need Retrospect the most.

P.S. I tried the integration process using a Windows XP retail upgrade CD without SP1 and it worked perfectly. Alas, that CD would have the wrong key code if I ever had to use it on my new Dell computer.

Just another Catch 22. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking about creating a DR CD, I was wondering why it's necessary to specify a snapshot at the time of creating the CD???

Seems to me that by the time we get around to needing the DR CD, we would likely have a newer snapshot that we wish to restore!

What am I missing here?

Hi

The snapshot contains a system registry and information about what drivers are required to get the system to boot. Without the snapshot Retrospect doesn't know where to get this information.

In a disaster recovery situation you can restore from any of your backups and any of your snapshots. You don't need to create a new DR CD every time you backup, only when you add or change hardware on the machine.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi All,

I have just slipstreamed (merged) my original XP installation CD with SP2 and created a bootable disc. This should work for DR purposes, no?

That depends on the nature of the disaster. Most likely, the Retrospect executable is on your C-drive, so if that drive has crashed, how do you run Retrospect to recover your system? Your bootable WinXP CD will allow you to do a fresh-install of your OS, which then means reinstalling Retrospect before you can attempt to restore your system to where it was before the crash. In this scenario, a Retrospect DR CD makes recovery a more direct and far simpler process, as it circumvents the cumbersome and time-consuming procedures involved in using the WinXP + Retrospect installation CDs (theoretically speaking of course). smirk.gif

To clarify - I was actually suggesting using the slipstreamed CD to create the DR CD for Retrospect in response to the original poster's comment "Almost no one has an original Windows XP CD with SP2" - I'm guessing this would work - although haven't tried it myself yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived