How to make sure boot disk is valid?

transco

Quote:

The only sure way is to try rebuilding the drives.

crazy.gif OK, thanks. I use Nero 5.5 to burn the ISO image to DVD (too large for a CD). I asked the Nero folks if it was at least possible to verify the burned image matched the ISO file and got this reply:

Quote:

It is not possible to verify the burn process of a disc image.

Not sure why that would be, but I guess they should know. This makes the entire process kind of scary.

Hi

You can check if the disc is bootable without doing any damage to your machine. Just turn off the computer after the first install screen comes up.

It won't test the recovery feature of course but at least you will know the disk is readable and boots properly.

Thanks

nate

Quote:

Hi

You can check if the disc is bootable without doing any damage to your machine. Just turn off the computer after the first install screen comes up.

It won't test the recovery feature of course but at least you will know the disk is readable and boots properly.

Thanks

nate

Not at all useful. A disk could boot with missing and/or corrupted files.

The only proof is to boot all the way and verify that all drivers, apps, etc are working correctly.

Quote:

Quote:

The only sure way is to try rebuilding the drives.

crazy.gif
OK, thanks. I use Nero 5.5 to burn the ISO image to DVD (too large for a CD). I asked the Nero folks if it was at least possible to verify the burned image matched the ISO file and got this reply:

Quote:

It is not possible to verify the burn process of a disc image.

Not sure why that would be, but I guess they should know. This makes the entire process kind of scary.

I expect that the Nero folkes are incorrect.

I would find it hard to believe that nobody has already produced a program that will do such a compare.

I expect that there are folkes out there that have programs that can verify that a CD was correctly recorded from an image. Heck, all it involves is a logical block by logical block compare, doesn't matter what's in the files.

Archived