Overwriting previous tapes in the same backup set???

Lennart_T

Hi.

Running Retrospect 6.5.350 on Windows 2000 server with a Sony 8 tape loader. The backup sets are one week and 8-9 tapes before we do a "New Media Backup". This means that in mid-week we remove some filled tapes and put some blank ones in the loader. This week we removed the first 2 tapes, as the 3rd tape was currently used. Today, when I was going to remove all the tapes, there was no tape 3!!!. Tape 9 was sitting in the slot previously occupied by tape 3.

Yesterday there was an error message on the screen that I just clicked away (after ther server has been waiting for this for hours). The message was also in the log file:

Trouble writing "8-AIT [018]" (1958346752), error -204 (device busy)

Has anyone seen this before?

Why didn't Retrospect pick the empty tape instead of tape 3???

/Lennart

Hmmmmm

And the 3rd tape is nowhere to be found? I've never seen a case where Retrospect will overwrite a member of a known backup set. In your original post you said you took out two tapes and added two more. That means you should have one tape that is empty. Any chance the loader contents display window is confusing that empty tape with the third tape?

Unless I'm missing something here...

Thanks

nate

Hi.

I did remove the first two tapes in the backup set, but I did put in 7 empty tapes on Monday. On Thursday, there was this problem with writing to tape 8 and that's when it took tape 3 instead of the empty one. The loader wasn't opened between Monday and Friday, when the third tape was missing. I did a "Scan Media" to see if a slot was mis-labelled.

The only empty tape on Friday was indeed empty. I put it into another slot and did another "Scan Media", but the tape was still displayed as empty.

"I've never seen a case where Retrospect will overwrite a member of a known backup set."

Neither have I. It's always picky when we want to erase old tapes if we forget to "Forget" the old backup set first.

We've been using Retrospect since version 3 and I have never seen nothing like it.

Hi

Well I'm even more stumped now...

Does your loader use bar codes? I suppose its possible that Retrospect could have confused the barcode names of two tapes and then overwritten one by mistake. However, Retrospect should still have seen that the tape already had a name when it was actually loaded into the tape drive.

Is there any possiblity a user other than yourself could have erased the third tape when a media request window came up?

Thanks

nate

Hi.

No, our loader does not use bar codes.

No, the PC and loader is in a locked room. Only two persons currently have access cards to that room, and we both know Retrospect well enough not to do such a thing. And my co-worker was too busy that week to check on Retrospect at all...

Oh well, it will probably remain a mystery.

Thanks for your answers.

Archived