6.5 hangs system after duplicate

dbookbinder

I'm having problems with Retrospect 6.5 hanging up, usually during the verification stage of a duplicate operation. It also hangs the system, requiring a hard boot (reset). I'm using open file backup because I want it to back up any active files, and this may be an issue -- but I want it to backup those files! It runs to completion when I run Retrospect in Safe Mode (but then it doesn't back up the open files). I'm backing up to a Maxtor One-Touch drive.

One thing I'm wondering is if stopping most non-essential services will enable Retrospect not to hang. The problem seemed to get much worse after I installed SP2, which appears to have added numerous services unrelated to backing up. If I could get a list of the services actually needed to do a backup with Open File Backup, and stop all the others before I do a duplicate, that might be helpful. Or a list of services or startup programs that typically cause problems with Retrospect. I run it from a minimal account, but it still usually fails.

Thanks,

David

Hi

Retrospect usually won't hang because of services and such. Chances are there is a driver or hardware issue at play here.

Try any or all of the following:

-Make sure the one touch drive is plugged directly into a port on the computer - not a hub.

-make sure virus scans are disabled when you run the duplicate.

-Update chipset drivers for your motherboard and USB controller

-turn off system restore for the one touch drive.

-change the policy for the maxtor drive in device manager to "quick removal"

You should also try a backup with open file backup turned off. Its quite possible every thing will still backup just fine.

Nate

I have a similiar issue. Namely Retrospect 6.5 hangs and I have to do a hardware reboot. Once I have selected the source and backup saveset and click okay, it goes into the activity window, says it is starting an open file backup, and thats it. It is hung up and I have to do a hardware reboot. Interesting thing is if I reboot first then retrospect runs fine.

This problem has only cropped up since I installed SP2. I have done a re install of Retrospect, and it didn't help.

WHen I do a backup I don't use my system for anything else. If I try turning off the open file option, would I get an error if it can't backup a file??

Note, I am backing up to an external firewire drive.

THank, Pete

Hi Nate

I already have system restore turned off on everything. I have tried turning off open file backup and I do get a few errors. I assume that means those files weren't backed up.

Strange thing is it works fine after reboot, it just after running a while. Also this didn't start until I upgraded to SP2.

Pete

Hi

It may be that the service pack update damaged the volume shadow copy service. Retrospect uses this service to backup open files on the machine.

You might want to do an uninstall of Retrospect, reboot and then reinstall. This will not delete your preferences, scripts, settings etc but it will reinstall the Retrospect laucher service and other files.

If you post the file errors I can at least let you know if they are safe to ignore or not.

Thanks

nate

Hi Nate

1st. I have already uninstalled and reinstall and it didn't make any difference.

The following are the file errors:

1. c:\Documents and Settings/Pete xxxxx/local settings/temp/ jar_carche41732.tmp

2. c:\Documents and Settings/Pete xxxxx/local settings/temp/ Perflib_Perfdata_c0c.dat

3. c:\Windows\Prefetch\LOGON.SCR-151EFAEA.pf

4. c:\Windows\Prefetch\RTHLPSVC.EXE-289FBD89.pf

5. c:\Windows\Prefetch\Layout.ini

6. c:\Windows\system32\spool\Printers\FP00000.SHD

7. c:\Windows\system32\spool\Printers\FP00000.SPL

8. c:\Windows\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR

9. c:\Windows\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER

10. c:\Windows\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA

11. c:\Windows\system32\Temp\ZLT06ee2.tmp

Would be of any value if I can tell where the program hangs?

Thanks Pete

Hi

Sorry to bug you about the reinstall. There are a couple of people on this thread and I got confused.

None of these files should cause the system to hang. These are the files that give errors when you run a backup with open file backup turned off right?

The temp files you are safe to ignore. The Items in the spool directory are probably harmless too.

The files in prefetch are probably safe to ignore but I'm not 100% on that. Wbem I have not seen before. You might want to boot in safe mode and try a backup there. These files may not be use at that time.

Thanks

nate

Hi Nate

I checked the save set and all the files were actually saved. Thing that still puzzles me is that if I reboot, and then immediately do a backup the full open file backup works fine. It is only after I have worked a while, and done some one thing(whatever that is) that it just hangs preparing for the open file backup. I have a utility that tells me what modules and exe's are loaded and then closed. I may try comparing when it works vs when it hangs. But that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Again thanks, Pete

Hi

The shadow copy service depends on a few other services to run. It may be that those services are getting corrupt as your computer runs through the day. You might want to run a RAM test on the machine to make sure you don't have any memory errors happening.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I may have resolved the problem I had with 6.5 hanging after doing a Duplicate; at least, I've been able to do several duplicate backups without problems. In order to resolve a problem I was having with CHKDSK generating a STOP error, I hunted around the Internet until I found someone who'd had a similar problem, the solution to which was uninstalling Nero INCD. Uninstalling INCD and then reinstalling Nero Express and Retrospect, but not INCD, appears to also have solved my Retrospect Backup problem.

Just my two cents --

- David

Archived