Backup to File->Burn to DVD-R

Hi All,

Bit of a newbie with Retrospect. Have been backing up to File and have found the files adding up to about 6Gb at the end of my recycle plan ready to be archived and moved off site. The obviously problem is that these files are too large to burn off to DVD-R.

My problem is that the only machine we have to burn DVD-Rs is a mobile laptop that is not in the office at all times.

My question is; is there a way to limit the size of my backups to File and have Retrospect automatically increment the segments so that they will fit onto a DVD-R at the end of my backup schedule?

Cheers.

System: Mac OSX 10.3, Retrospect 5.1.175

Hi

You can't limit the segment size but you don't really need to. You can perform a backup transfer from the tools menu in Retrospect. This will copy the contents of your file backup set into a DVD backup set. The DVD set and transfer operation will automatically span multiple disks.

Thanks

nate

Hi Nate,

Thans for pointing me in that direction...I hadn't come across that feature. Problem however still exists because the machine that is serving as the backup server, and which holds the backup sets doesn't have a DVD burner. So I get an error message that says "Sorry, no disc storage devices found". I want to create these 4.7Gb segments of my backup set that I can transfer and burn on the laptop that has the DVD burner.

I feal I'm close to the solution but not quite there. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Hi

Well, unfortunately that leaves you stuck really.

You would need to copy the backup file to an external hard disk and then do the transfer on the machine with the DVD drive.

Mac networking has some size limitations that prevent you from being able to access the backup file over the network. As a result the backup file will need to be attached locally to the machine that has the DVD drive.

Thanks

nate

Archived