Confusion when OS & profile are on different partitions

goggin

At work they partition our hard drives into C:\ and D:\ ....then put all the programs (including the OS - WinXP Pro) on the C:\ drive and all the data, including the "\Documents and Settings" folder, on the D:\ drive. This means my OS is on the C:\ drive, but my registry and other profile info is on the D:\ drive.

I've always wondered how I would restore my system in the event of an unrecoverable disaster. If I restore my C:\ drive, I should get the OS restored, but what about the registry and other profile data that's on the D:\ drive?

Hopefully this is a simple question with an obvious answer that I'm just missing somehow. I've read the doc's and searched this forum, but can't seem to find a direct explanation of how Retrospect works in this situation.

(Using Retrospect Backup Pro 6.5.350)

Thanks!

--

dgg

Quote:

Hi

The Registry is actually on the C drive so no worries there.

In the event of a full restore, restore the drives in reverse order. Specifically data drives first, system drives last. That should avoid any trouble.

Thanks

Nate

NTUSER.DAT is under the "Documents and Settings" directory.

I've never set up a system in which "Document and Settings" is not on the system drive, but why would that not work? Is there "documentation" that it would not work?

• 3 months later...

The XP/2K registry is stored in several files; the registry keys common to all users (HKCR, HKLM, but NOT HKU/HKCU) are in $systemroot%, which from the sounds of it, would be on your C drive;

The HKU registry keys are in a file NTUSER.DAT, that is located by default, under the DOCS and SETTINGS folder, which is now on the D drive. This is a config totally supported by MS, and in fact, is how the system should install by default.

Per Retro doc, the registry is stored in the snapshot of the %systemdrive% backup. So dgg's question is quite valid, as the doc is unclear; since I will be setting up our systems in this manner, I too would like to know:

If you restore the %systemdrive% with System State enabled, what will be restored. Dantz?

Hi

When you do a system state backup Retrospect sends APIs to Windows to copy all of the system state information to a flat file that is stored in the catalog file. Retrospect doesn't care where the actual components of the registry reside, it just asks the OS to hand over the information. The OS then gathers the required info as needed and gives it to Retrospect.

Nate

Archived