cannot backup to dvd

dantzdb

i just upgraded to dantz 6.5 pro. it will not recognize my dvd. it is hl-dt-st. in my new dell brand. i see the device in the enviornment (confiugre). however when i try to configure the dvd, it keeps asking me to place a disk in the drive (which i have done). as a second attempt, i tried formating the disk with another program first, that also does not work.

help

When problems crop up trying to create a custom driver for DVD, there are several things that can be conflicting with the process, but two items you can try that frequently pop to the top of the list:

- make sure that there is no packet writing software that is interfering with Retro when a dvd is inserted. This is software that lets you "drag & drop" files in windows to the dvd.

- next, try changing the default interface in Retro Secret Preferences<ctl><alt>pp. Select "use NT passthru" in the Execution window, OR if it is already selected, then uncheck the preference. REMEMBER: need to close Retro and restart Retro after changing preferences.

There are a number of other things you can try if the above does not help (such as aspi updates Intel App Accel removal), but these are the first things to try.

And if you want to really fine tune, I have found best performance on a custom driver by just configuring one dvd format for backup (+R). I find that RW is cumbersome due to format and erase, especially since DVD's are now less expensive.

Certainly some dvd writers are a bit painful to get going but once it is working, it will stay that way.

• 2 weeks later...

ghamilton, thanks for ttrying to help me. i tried changing to "us nt passthru".

i have to tell you, i am a pretty savvy user (for an ametur), i have a new dell computer, and i cannot get this program to write to a DVD. is it the brand (hl-dt-st), or is this a common problem with this program. i want to like it, i want to buy it.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get "NO STORAGE DEVICES FOUND"

How do i turn off drag and drop software. i am not sure it is on.

Hi

Make sure you have the latest driver update for Retrospect 6.5 installed.

http://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/rdu53.exe

You can also try installing ASPI using the ASPIINST.exe utility located in the Retrospect program folder. This will change the way Retrospect looks at your device. If that doesn't work recheck the NT Passthrough box that G Hamilton mentioned.

please post all of the information listed for this device in the Retrospect configure->devices->environment window.

Thanks

nate

I am just a novice at this, but I also had problems with a DVD drive. I kept looking for the problem within Retrospect. Then I noticed that Windows was having problems with the drive. So I uninstalled the drive and let windows install it. Then it sailed through Retrospect with no problems.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

GHamilton

From bad to worse!!!

I got Retrospect to work. I wrote a back up set. it worked. verified it . it worked.

now windows won't recognize the drive. The same dvd that has a backup set (that has been verified) is seen as blank by windows.

help!!!!!!!!!

Your comment on drag to disk is interesting as I am using a Plextor DVD burner and it comes with that software as part of the "package". I am also having problems... internal CD drive is disappearing after a backup to dvd and can only be recovered by reboot (which is not handy for the server in a peer to peer network. Will disable it and see how it goes after that.

Archived