Net Retry and failed backup

After hours of retries, and wasted time, I'm caving in. My Retrospect 5.0.205 app runs on a G3 tower (biege) with a dds2 tape drive attached. Retrospect backs up the internal drives just fine. It also connects and configures the remote PowerBook G3/500mhz just fine (client 5.0.528). When the backup starts for the PowerBook drive, Retrospect gathers up the file info lickety-split. All is well. Some small number of bytes into the first file, I get the dreaded Net Retry dialog, and a 519 error in the log. That dialog times out after some period of time, like 2 minutes (I never counted). the PowerBook never gets backed up. Not one byte.

The server is running Mac OS X 10.0.4, and nothing else but the Finder. I've also tried using Retrospect booted in OS 9 (not classic). Same deal.

the network connection is thru a switch, hard wired, no AirPort. I've got good strong 100baseT connections. Pings, file transfers, all that are very fast between these two machines. the Server does have a third party ethernet card, that bumps it up to 100baseT.

Help!

My Retrospect 5.0.205 app runs on a G3 tower (biege) with a dds2 tape drive attached.

The server is running Mac OS X 10.0.4, and nothing else but the Finder. I've also tried using Retrospect booted in OS 9 (not classic).

The Server does have a third party ethernet card, that bumps it up to 100baseT.

So, what happened when you tested using the G3 mini-tower's built-in Ethernet connection?

(don't forget to make sure only one port is active in the Network preference pane...)

Dave

OK, I've tried many different combinations, none of which work. every time, the backup stalls with a Net Retriy dialog. This should work, I'm doing everything according to the book. This did work fine with Retrospect 4.3.

In all these cases, the PowerBook is running via built in ethernet, with no other port active, Mac OS 10.1.4

Retrospect on the desktop backup machine running Mac OS 9.2.2 using the built in ethernet - nope

desktop machine running Mac OS 9.2.2 using the 10/100 asante card - nope

desktop machine using Mac OS 10.1.4 with both ethernet ports active, 10/100 chosen - nope

destkop machine using mac os 10.1.4 with only the 10/100 active and chosen - nope

desktop machine using mac os 10.1.4 with only built in ether active and chosen - nope

Jus for laughs, I tried with the PowerBook via AirPort. Same exact result as above.

it still connects, still scans the disk for files quickly, and fails during backup of the first file. seems to fail right after the first few bytes.

Is this discussion group the only way to get tech support out of Dantz? There are lots of smart volunteers hanging around here, but Dantz is responsible for walking me thru a fix for this problem. Shouldn't I be able to phone them up, or at least get direct email tech support?

Thanks very much for the suggestions, folks. You guys are the best.

Just for laughs, I tried with the PowerBook via AirPort. Same exact result as above

If your WAP (Wireless Access Point) is on the same wired LAN then you haven't taken the switch out of the test.

You should connect the two machines with an ethernet cross-over cable. Give each of then a fictious static IP address on the same subnet (10.1.1.0 is popular for this). Get the networking hardware out of the picture completely.

As for tech support, I believe that you do get support when you buy the product new, but most of us bought upgrades which don't come with free support.

Dave

OK, I just tried 4 times with various different settings and a direct connect via crossover cable. one machine's ip was 10.1.1.2 the other 10.1.1.3.

Server machine running Mac OS X 10.1.4, same with the powerbook.

Each time it would quickly connect to the remote on the powerbook and gather up all the file information. Then it would do the Net Retry thing when copying the first file. I renamed the file. Same response with the next file. I excluded that directory with a filter. It stalled on the first file it found in the next directory.

Other ideas welcome.

Where is Dantz, anyway? Might be worth a trip out there. Sure not getting any action out of them on the forum.

I don't have an answer, and have similar problems, but some suggestions:

1) Turn off speed threshold, it can currently cause problems backing up X clients.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=832

2) For general network troubleshooting, you might find some ideas in the comprehensive nasty network problem (519 error) guide.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=tn415mw

Archived