Plextor 712A DVD drive problems

drive came bundled with 6.5 30 day demo. I have tried DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R and DVD-RW all to no avail. Sometimes I get farther than others, but I cannot use any of the media. Keep getting -100 error message. I am running XPSP2. I hve tried turning off autoplay, but a message keeps popping up everytime I put in a blank DVD. I have even tired turing off autoplay with Tweak UI any suggestions?

I have tried downloading the driver kit.

Whole point of buying DVD was to do backups

Robert Dikeman

dikeman@comcast.net

Robert,

Have you tried updating the drive's firmware? Here's the latest, released 9/1:

http://plextor.com/english/support/downloads/firm_712.htm

Now, I don't see the drive listed in the Hardware Compatibility list, so it may be that bundling the demo was optimistic--it's a relatively new drive, and Dantz may still be working out the driver (I've got the PX-708UF and it works flawlessly, and most Plextor drives are supported, so there's cause for hope). Does it appear correctly in Configure, Devices? You may have to create a custom driver for it until a Dantz driver is released. See this doc for how-to:

How to Auto Configure a CD-RW/DVD Device - Windows v6.5

Note that you must use all types of media to which you intend to back up during the driver creation process. Personally, I use only DVD+R and +RW.

Also, check the support site for the doc on error -100. I'd post the link but the search function seems to be broken right now.

Abe Hendin

AtYourSpeed Consulting

Well, Roberta, I suppose CDRWs are better than nothing, and will serve at least for critical data. Just be sure that you've got Retrospect set to verify after backup, and do a test restore of some files (to a new folder, don't overwrite the originals) to confirm proper operation.

If you'd like to continue using Retrospect, check the compatibility list periodically for an update. Dantz does release driver updates to accomodate new devices. And perhaps someone else here will have a suggestion I've missed. One thing I did forget: be sure you're using top-quality media, such as Verbatim and FujiFilm. Verbatim is a bit less costly for DVD+Rs, if I recall correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both a 708a and a 712a. Both seem to work about the same WRT Retrospect. Which is to say they sort of work, but have some annoying problems. One thing I found that's a killer is ASPI. If you have WinXP with any ASPI layer installed, I doubt that you'll ever get it to work.

I share your dissapointment in the difficulty in getting this combination of HW and SW to work. I too bought the 708a and Retrospect thinking it promised to be a bulletproof backup proposition. It's been anything but. I have little confidence in any backups I've made with it so far. It appears to me that the Dantz people have not yet figured out how to manage DVD operation with these drives. My current problem, and I'll probably be putting it in a new thread of its own, is that Retrospect refuses to write to virgin +RW disks. It will work with *used* +RW disks of the same type, just not NEW ones! Go figure.

IMO, Dantz would do themselves and their customers a huge favor if they'd license the DVD burn engine from Ahead. Nero works all the time, perfectly, with everything.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i am having similar problems i guess with this thing.

i was burning some data today. it was burning with no used buffer for some reason, i found it strange but didnt care since the stuff burned fine. but now when i try to burn stuff, it would just give me a message saying burning failed after writing like 30 percent of the stuff. the entire time, the buffer would oscillate between 100% and 10%. it is strange. anyone have any ideas? i am using nero 6 btw. is it possibled that my drive is fvcked?

now, it wont read any discs at all. i pop in anything and it freezes my computer, once you pop the disc out, the computer is unfrozen. damn it!

Two thoughts: first check your IDE cable. Make sure it's completely seated at both ends, and if it's the only drive on the channel, make sure that you're using the end connector. Even better use an 80-wire cable. And also make sure that the drive is running in UDMA-2 mode by looking at the status of the IDE channel in device Manager (assuming you're using Windows). If it's running in PIO or MWDMA, you'll have the buffer 10-100 oscillation.

If it's stuck in PIO, you may have to uninstall that channel's IDE controller from device manager and have it reboot and redetect the controller. This drive MUST run in UDMA-2 to work correctly.

Archived