rotating backup sets off-site, without Proactive

abe

What I'd like to do as part of an overall backup strategy is create a script called, say, Friday, that will back up to either of two backups sets, depending on which is available: Friday A or Friday B. That would enable the script to back up automatically to Friday B while Friday A was off-site, then to resume with Friday A when it came back in and Friday B was rotated off-site.

Needs to be done with a script and schedulers, not proactive (much too expensive an add-on for very small businesses, Dantz). Thought I knew how to do this, but I can't figure it out to my satisfaction right now--it seems that a scheduler can reference only a single backup set. I can imagine scheduling two scripts for the same time or a minute or two apart, then change the media request timeout to a low value, except that then the administrator wouldn't immediately know the next morning that a backup had failed to complete.

Ideas? The goal is to avoid relying on the user to bring in the off-site set on a particular day. BTW, they have 5.6--that doesn't happen to include Proactive, as the Mac version of 4.x did, does it? Such a shame that Dantz made the Proactive option so expensive an additional component.

Abe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The solution you proposed (scheduling the scripts a few minutes apart with a media request timeout) is a good one. Email notification in Retrospect will ask you for media and tell you about any failed script. It may be better to use a Retrospect event handler (external mail script) to notify you of sucessfull backups.

Thanks

Nate

Hi, Nate. Thanks for confirming that I'm on the right track. I hadn't realized that event handlers outside of Retrospect for Win (Mac, yes) were possible--how do I set such a thing up? And why would it be better in the first place than Retrospect's internal notifications?

Thanks,

Archived