Retrospect 5, 9.2.2 and ASIP

I just installed Retrospect Workgroup on a client's G4 Tower running ASIP. Every other time I ran the installer it would hang at the program start before the splash screen. After installation Retrospect itself appears to hang as it executes an unattended backup, locking up the system until it can be reset in the morning.

I've tried all the usual things to try to solve the problem: minimum extensions, disk utilities, etc. but the problem persists. Now that I've started to get the listserve and checked out the forum, apparently this is not an isolated problem (both good and bad to know). Has anyone at Dantz looked into this and is there some kind of official response (acknowledgement, investigation, solution?) as yet on what can be done to solve this if the client needs to keep the server running (other than upgrading to OS X Server). The client has been patient but is slowly losing confidence in the product and our expertise.

Regards,

James

The crash on auto-launch seems to be some sort of wierd ASIP vs. Alias File thing (if you view the contents of the Retrospect package you'll see an alias that points to the actual application nested deeper inside. Maybe that's what's used during auto launch?); I've seen the exact same crash (as reported in Macsbug) when double-clicking on an alias to BBEdit!

Try leaving Retrospect running and see if it can execute scripts reliably that way (if you put an alias in the Startup Items folder it should be OK, since then Retrospect will launch before File Sharing does...)

Dave

Archived