Backup on Que!, restore with Superdrive?

I've so far done all my backups with a Mac G4 450 and an external Que! USB CD-RW and Retrospect Desktop 4.3. I've now switched to a dual 1ghz G4 with the built-in Superdrive (Pioneer DVR-104). Can I restore some of the files (burned to CD-R) with Retrospect Desktop 5 and the Superdrive??? Or will I have to plug in the old piece of junk Que! to get my files back. Thus is it worth it to me to upgrade to 5? Can anyone help me with this. I need to get at my files.

Thank you!

Backups and restores must all be done with supported devices. As long as the drive you used to back up was not damaged, and writing data in a way only that drive can read, you should be just fine restoring from the Super Drive. This drive doesn't support CD-RW, though so this applies only if the backups are all done to CD-R.

Note that this drive does not perform optimally with Retrospect because it does not support continuous writing. Unfortunately this means that the performance boost won't be as dramatic as you might be expecting.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Thanks for the reply. I did, indeed, only write to CD-R, not CD-RW and I assume the Que! was working properly. I won't be devastated if the Superdrive doesn't move especially fast as long as it works and I have access to my old archives. My other option is my Onstream USB ADR 30GB drive which is slower than anything put on earth and, as I understand, not supported at all by Retrospect 5. Do you have any suggestions for a fairly low cost solution for my mac that will outperform the Superdrive and the Onstream??

Thanks,

Eric

Archived