missing files after Duplicate

I am archiving an older mac's hard driver before taking it out of service. I am attempting to do this to a fw hard drive on a server running 10.1.4 and Retrospect 5 using Duplicate with the All Files selector (I still need easy access to the files). The duplicate completes without errors, but the resulting directory has about 3000 files and 200MB less than the original drive. The older mac is running 9.1, both drives in question are HFS+.

Anyone seen this? Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it would not boot. This may be because I am trying to boot it on a B&W when it was installed on a powerbase. I copied over a macos rom file, but that didn't do the trick.

I recently used Retrospect to do a duplicate on the server of about 9 GB from a folder on a firewire drive to a folder on an internal drive, and it worked perfectly.

I have had problems similar to what you describe when doing a copy in the finder, because I copied the folders in the hard drive and missed everything on the desktop. I don't think you can make this mistake in Retrospect, but I mention it in the unlikely event you managed to do something similar when comparing the before and after.

According to Apple only certain kinds of computers support booting X from a FireWire drive:

"FireWire booting is possible on all Macintosh models that have built-in FireWire ports with the exception of the Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White) and the Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics) models. You may need to upgrade the computer's firmware before FireWire booting will work. You can download the latest firmware for your computer from the Apple Software Updates Web site at http://www.apple.com/swupdates."

From this note, it seems that you won't be able to boot your computer from the FireWire drive. Try using the backup instead of the duplicate.

Thanks for the info. I haven't attempted booting from firwire, so this may well be why that did not work. I want a duplicate of the volume though, so I can access the files (without a restore). I don't actually need to boot the duplicate, just see it, which I can, but some (about 3000) files seem to be missing. I suppose I'll attempt a finder copy next, and see if it gives better results. Thanks again.

Archived