Definition of "Single Local Area Network"

klubar

I looked over the Dantz website and the forum for the definition of "Single Local Area Network" and couldn't find it anywhere. Our network has a router in it to keep our high-volume creative users off the voice network, does this mean that we have two local area networks even through they are in the same building? (I have a similar problem with a wireless machine that gets its address via the wireless router.)

The "compare products chart (http://www.dantz.com/en/products/wincompare.dtml) indicates that "additional remote licenses" are optional, but I can't see how to purchase them on the dantz site.

Product: Dantz Retrospect 6.5 professional.

Thanks

Ken Lubar

EMI Strategic Marketing

klubar (at) emiboston.com

Ok, I'll bite. What is the (dantz) definition of a IP subnet. From my IP textbooks, I can see that "Subnetting an IP Network can be done for a variety of reasons, including organization, use of different physical media (such as Ethernet, FDDI, WAN, etc.), preservation of address space, and security. The most common reason is to control network traffic. In an Ethernet network, all nodes on a segment see all the packets transmitted by all the other nodes on that segment." For example, I can set a class B subnet of 255.255.0.0 and see across multiple routers. So I still don't understand Retrospect's definition.

Where do I enter my subnet mask into Retrospect?

Also, if I buy additional client licenses (as you recommended) are these "local" (crippled) or "remote" (real) users? (The Dantz site/store fails to adequately define "local" and "remote" users. Any help (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) in backing up my wireless users (connected via a linksys router) would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi

The range of IP addresses as determined by a single subnet mask. In other words if you have two subnets with two different subnet masks retrospect professional will only access one of them.

If your Wlan clients are in the same subnet as your wired clients and the Wlan router will forward multicast packets you should be fine.

You can't enter the subnet mask in Retrospect, it looks at the subnet mask attached to your network adapter and uses that.

"Remote" means "over the local network". What do you mean by crippled?

Retrospect Professional includes two client licenses for free. You can buy more if needed. They will all function the same way.

If you haven't done so already I suggest downloading the trial and logging in the clients you are concerned about. That will tell you if Retrospect is going to run the way you want it to.

Thanks

Nate

Archived