Samba shares not working

I am having trouble getting the main Retrospect 6.5 app (with the 5.1 drivers) to read from Samba shares. This is not an issue with the Linux client, but it was suggested that I still post here.

I have a Debian server running Samba 3.0.4. I can access all of the shares and browse the workgroup perfectly from Windows XP and other apps. But when I try to add a share as a volume in Retrospect, I get the error below (I get the error after the "Add Network Volume" window has closed):

Error getting volume information, cannot add this volume to the database

I have seen several other similar reports here, but no good resolutions. Retrospect seems to access SMB services in a way that doesn't always work with Samba. Is there a way to get a detailed logs out of Retrospect so this can be tracked down?

Things I have tried:

• Removed config65.* and tried again (same problem)

• Tried Retrospect as various specified users (all admins)

• Tried Retrospect without a specified user

• Tried typing the UNC directly and browsing through “Windows Network” (same problem either way)

• Ran Windows NT Reskit “browstat” tool and everything looks fine

• Tried invalid user names and invalid share names. Both cause a different error message that occurs before the "Add Network Volume" window closes (indicating this isn’t the problem)

• Tried invalid password (this produces the same “error getting volume information” message)

• Looked at the samba log with logging set to 10 and found (cmd=162 (SMBntcreateX) NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)

• Changed various samba security and protocol settings (nothing helped yet)

Hi

From what I understand Samba 3.0.4 rejects a certain call that Retrospect gives when it tries to log into the share. The call is made by a valid Windows API, Samba just isn't quite up to speed yet.

I can't guarantee that this will fix the problem but I suspect that it may.

Thanks

nate

• 1 month later...

I've had the Retrospect "error getting volume information" problem (with Samba 3.0.4), but I found that Samba 3.0.1 (from SuSE) will work.

Samba 3.0.6 was released (24 August), but I haven't tested it. Does anybody know the specific bug or description that addresses this problem?

Archived