Rebuild file backup set catalog; reporting; etc

Three questions from a new Retrospect user (Workgroup Backup 5.0.203 for Mac running on OS X 10.1.4; several clients including OS 9 and OS 10.1 of various stripes).

1) How to you rebuild a catalog file for a file backup set from scratch? All I see is a repair option.

2) Is there a way of producing a report of all the files backed up for a particular volume, along with dates and sizes? I.e. one entry per file, with the date being the date of the latest backup for that file. It would also be nice to be able to produce this report for a specified day in the past. I don't know how useful this would be, but as a beginning Retrospect user, I'm somewhat suspicious and need lots of assurance that Retrospect is doing the right thing. (I have experienced some strange errors backing up an OS 9 client to an OS X workgroup server; thousands of files reported verification errors, but there is no evidence that Retrospect ever tried to re-back up these files again.)

3) I would like to use two 120 GB external drives in a rotating backup scheme, where one drive (A) stores incremental backups for a week or two before being rotated off-site and being replaced by the other drive (B). Is there any way of moving a minimal, full backup from drive A to drive B so that it is not necessary to start the week with a full backup to drive B?

Thanks,

Kevin Murphy

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Good questions. Let me see if I can answer any or all of them.

1:

How to you rebuild a catalog file for a file backup set from scratch? All I see is a repair option.

A File Backup Set contains both the catalog and the backed up data in one file (or, for larger backups, it's split into separate resource and date files to accomidate an Mac OS limit). There is nothing to "rebuild" in the same sense that a Tape Backup Set can be rebuilt from the storage media.

2:

Is there a way of producing a report of all the files backed up for a particular volume, along with dates and sizes?

Not that I know of. A good idea, except that it would become a pretty big report. Still, text files are cheap and that's a great suggestion.

3:

Is there any way of moving a minimal, full backup from drive A to drive B so that it is not necessary to start the week with a full backup to drive B?

If your external drives are storing a File Backup Set, it's a single file that will grow with each incremental backup (actually, it will probably be split into two files). You could copy these files from drive A to drive B, rename them (make sure both are renamed properly), and when you use the B version it will already have most of the information needed. Retrospect will match the existing files against the files in the Backup Set and only copy over any files that are not accounted for (it won't delete any files).

Dave

Archived