Retrospect and WinXP Personal Firewall

tmerrick

Will Retrospect still be able to reach out to clients if the clients are running Windows XP with the personal firewall installed? We have been getting a lot of error -530 (backup client not found) reports and we think the firewall may be causing this.

Tyler Merrick

The client installer is supposed to open the proper port in the firewall during installation. But sometimes I've noticed it doesn't happen, or it won't be open if you enable the firewall after installing the Retrospect client. Check your firewall setting to be sure that port 467 is open (UDP and TCP, both to cover the bases).

Quote:

Check your firewall setting to be sure that port 467 is open (UDP and TCP, both to cover the bases).

You mean 497. Further to this, I've seen the Dantz utility that's supposed to open the appropriate port in fact open it incorrectly. After running the utility, check the rule added: instead of 255.255.255.255, the setting should read 127.0.0.1. Sorry I can't be specific about the exact setting, I don't have an appropriate machine here now.

Abe

Archived