Retrospect 5.0 not backing up all files

I have a Snap server that I am trying to back up using retrospect 5.0 in Mac OS 10.2 but Retrospect is only "seeing" less than a tenth of the files on the server and is not backing up the rest. However under 9.0 everything was backed up. Is this an issue with version 5.0?

Quote:

Is this an issue with version 5.0?

It's more likely an issue with OS X, and how multiple users interact with server volumes.

Can you describe exactly what you're doing?

Have you followed the instructions included in the Retrospect User Guide for accessing mounted AFP volumes?

Dave

I have followed the instructions as far as I know. I am just trying to back up a server that is basically just an external hard drive. I have full permisions and can find all the files when I access it through the desktop but Retrospect only sees less than a tenth of the files. Even when I browse it through the volumes area of retrospect it only sees a few files. How do I get it to where retrospect sees and backs up all the files?

>I have followed the instructions as far as I know.

The tricky part in getting help from a website is to describe what you're doing so that the _rest_ of us know.

- Exactly what instructions did you follow?

>I am just trying to back up a server that is basically just an external hard drive.

Accessing a remote machine is not the same as accessing a local volume, even if your Macintosh displays each in a similar way. Your Snap! server is a computer, not just a hard drive with an ethernet port.

>I have full permisions and can find all the files when I access it through the desktop but

>Retrospect only sees less than a tenth of the files.

Check the section of the User Guide that describes auto-mounting volumes; this is necessary because OS X won't allow access to mounted volumes if the user who logged in (you) is different then the user ID of the process trying to get the files. Since Retrospect runs as root (necessary to have full access to all your local files) they are, by definition, different.

When you have configured things correctly you to give Retrospect access to the files, attempting to view the volume from the Finder will show only the same few files as you're seeing now. When the back-up is done, you'll need to log in again from the Finder to see them again.

Dave

Archived