Jump to content

Auto-Config problem with Samsung SW-252B CD-RW


Recommended Posts

I downloaded the Retrospect 6.5 trial version and am trying to configure my SW-252B CD-RW drive. I saw a previous thread on this device but it did not solve my problem. The auto-configure process claims success (using Write Method #2) and I can see the RDI file in the appropriate location, yet the custom driver is not displayed next to the drive in the Storage Devices Environment window (showing "Devices visible using ASPI...") and the device is not listed in the Status window.

 

I'm running on Win XP Home SP1 and have upgraded ASPI to 4.71.2. The "ExcludeMiniports" setting in the system registry is currently blank. In addition to the CD-RW, the machine also has a Toshiba DVD-ROM drive and an IOMEGA Zip 250 (which is the only device showing up in the Status window). The fact that the RDI is successfully created has me optimistic that my setup may work, but I've run out of things to try to convince the software that this is the case!

 

Is it known whether this device has (or has not) worked with Retrospect?

 

Thanks,

Jon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I restarted Retrospect and am now seeing "Devicies visible using NT Passthrough" on the Environment tab, but nothing else has changed. I did another Auto-Config with the same result. A new RDI file was created, the operations log looks fine, but still nothing displayed in the "Driver" column.

 

Jon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

 

Since you have run the configurator twice you probably have multiple RDI files. Maybe one of them is damaged or incomplete but Retrospect is trying to use it any way.

 

These files are stored in c:\documents and settings\all users\application data (hidden)\Retrospect

 

Try moving or deleting some of the existing RDI files.

 

You might also want to try running the configuration with clean Retrospect config files. Just delete the config65.dat and config65.bak from the folder listed above

 

Nate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RDI files - gone. Config files - gone. Restarted and re-ran auto-config with same result. The new RDI file is there, but there's no indication in the Devices windows that the custom driver exists. Is this simply not going to work?

 

Thanks for your help.

 

Jon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jon

 

To augment Nate's assistance may I suggest an alternative approach...

* assign the Samsung as IDE MASTER or more radically

* assign the Samsung as IDE MASTER on an otherwise empty IDE ribbon.

In other words try removing the Iomega from the equation.

 

best wishes, Robert

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Samsung CD-RW is visible using the ASPI ID program Nate recommended. (I've run the utility about 8 times and the CD-RW was visible for all but one of those.)

 

The CD-RW is the Master on the secondary IDE channel. Here's my layout:

 

Primary:

HD

IOMEGA Zip-250

 

Secondary:

Samsung CD-RW

Toshiba DVD-ROM

 

Robert, can you clarify your suggestion based on that info? Thanks much.

 

Jon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isolate the IOMEGA... I come from a history of avoiding IOMEGA in anything other than simple sites with users possessing low or moderate expectations. If it's good for you... fine, if there's unexplained problems then it's (usually) a good place to start. However it doesn't get rid of the Iomega drivers... which mostly tend to be the culprits.

 

 

 

And/Or remove the TOSHIBA but these are usually solid and, in any case, is SECONDARY on the IDE ribbon. Unless you are desperate this is not a path I would now choose.

 

 

 

(edit--)

 

Sorry I meant SLAVE not SECONDARY... I'm busy and late trying to decode a shopping trolley (due to a 4day outage arising from recent 'issues').

 

(--edit)

 

 

 

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary;~)

 

 

 

best wishes, Robert

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I un-installed the Iomega software and uninstalled the Zip drive, no apparent change in Retrospect's behavior. It creates the RDI file and claims success, but the drive is still not available to use. I think I've chased this one far enough - thanks for the assistance.

 

Jon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...