WinXP Ver. 5.15 doesn't see built-in DVD writer

I own Retrospect V5.15 and have installed it in my new Dell laptop with WinXP. This laptop has a built-in DVD writer which I had hoped to use for backups. But my software doesn't seem to find it. The Device window is empty. When I click on the Device Status icon, there is another search and this time it sees the drive. That line says:

" NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A 10AC (no driver)". Any idea how I can make Retrospect utilize this writer for backups? Thanks in advance.

John

Hi

Retrospect 5.15 isn't fully compatible with Windows XP and it is too old to be able to use your DVD burner. Your best bet is to upgrade to Retrospect 6.5 professional. That way you can configure a custom driver for your drive.

Thanks

Nate

• 3 months later...

I don't back-up daily, With the enormous cdrw problems I have had with Roxio I just got a USB harddrive and don't bother trying to burn anything to CDRW anymore. In my case, I have Retrospect vers 5.15 on the Win98SE PC, and I am not sure if upgrading to 6.5 would be financially worth it. Is it possible to get version Retrospect 6.0 and it's related drivers?

Would the newer versions be backward compatible with vers 5.15?

ooo.gif

Hi

There is no benefit to updating to 6.0. 6.5 is a much better piece of software.

Keep in mind that Windows 98 will limit you to a 4GB backup file in Retrospect 5.X. You will need Retrospect 6.5 to work around that limitation.

Thanks

Nate

Archived