Retrospect Versions

• 1 year later...

Amy,

The supported device page is clearly ut of date.

Certance LTO2 drives with ATTO UL3S cards no longer work with Mac 10.4

Is someone looking into this issue? What is the ETA on a fix??

Retrospect version 6.1.126 + Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.3.101

Mac OS X 10.4.4 (8G32)

Kernel: Darwin 8.4.0

ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL3D: ROM Revision: 1.6.6f0

• 6 months later...

Yea, the "versions" page is out of date. Here's the latest list:

Retrospect updates page

Note that the current RDU is 6.1.6.100. Also note that a "Get Info" on the current Retrospect Mac Classic Client returns a version number of "5.1", not "5.1.180" - I turned in a bug report / support request when it was released back on May 10-11, 2006, but it remains unchanged. The lack of full version info is a real support problem (at least until the last Classic machine fades away), and there's no way to push the Classic client from Retrospect (manual install needed because no .rcu file exists).

Russ

• 11 months later...

It appears that Retrospect for Windows, is at Version 7.5, and for Mac at Version 6.1.

I intend to move to a mixed environment of Windows XP & Mac OS X.

I assume I will have to buy an additional licence for 6.n, even though I had a licence for such a version under Windows.

What problems will I face using the same external USB HDD to back-up both a Windows PC and Mac under OS x - or would I be better of buying an additional 7.n licence and running Retrospect under either VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop?

NJSS

Quote:

It appears that Retrospect for Windows, is at Version 7.5, and for Mac at Version 6.1.

That's correct, but there is little correlation between the version numbers for the two platforms.

Quote:

I intend to move to a mixed environment of Windows XP & Mac OS X.

I assume I will have to buy an additional licence for 6.n, even though I had a licence for such a version under Windows.

It depends on how you will do it. If you use Retrospect Windows to back up Mac clients, you just need client licenses for your version of Windows. Similar for using Retrospect Mac to back up windows clients. And the client version numbers don't track across platforms, either.

Quote:

What problems will I face using the same external USB HDD to back-up both a Windows PC and Mac under OS x - or would I be better of buying an additional 7.n licence and running Retrospect under either VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop?

As long as what you are trying to do is file backup, and not bare metal restore, you should be OK cross platform.

Some issues can develop if you are trying to back up Mac OS X Server with Windows because of metadata issues. It's possible, but not the default configuration and requires effort, to have ACLs turned on for Mac OS X non-server.

Quote:

Also note that a "Get Info" on the current Retrospect Mac Classic Client returns a version number of "5.1", not "5.1.180"

AFAIK, the "Classic" Mac OS INIT has remained unchanged since its initial release. In the case of previous versions where there was updated version info, the only change to the client software was that updated version information, not the running code itself.

So if you have a "Classic" client running the Retrospect extension, you're up to date no matter what.

Dave

Dave, I think that the last Mac Classic Client ("5.1" - really, 5.1.180), was to "fix" a security bug. See:

Retrospect Client security update

Interesting that this same "security" update for the Mac OS Client left the Mac OS X client setuid root and world writable, a much more severe security bug than the minor one that it allegedly fixed. This big security hole has existed for years despite many alerts to Dantz, Insignia, and EMC to fix the bug. Shameful and shoddy QA.

Retrospect Mac Client setuid root and world writable bug

The bug still exists, over three years later.

Russ

Archived