Backup Server in Retro 5.0.238 and Superdrive Behavior

Hi,

I'm running Retrospect Desktop 5.0.238 on a Power Mac G4 Digital Audio machine running MacOS 10.3.2. I've noticed that when the Retrospect Backup Server is running that I cannot utilize the eject key to open the drive bay door for the Mac's Superdrive DVR-103 (latest firmware, 1.90) and that Roxio Toast 6 no longer sees a recording device. Interestingly enough, when the Retro app is running, but before the Backup Server is running, Toast still sees the recorder and the eject key still functions. Since I don't use the Superdrive for backup with Retrospect, this is not a tremendous issue. However, it does not seem to be normal for Retro to hog the Superdrive when it is not being used by the scripts that utilize the backup server - they are backed up to tape.

Is this normal for Retrospect to monopolize the Superdrive when the only backup server scripts are set to backup to tape? Is there a way to prevent this behavior?

Thanks,

Rick

Quote:

Is this normal for Retrospect to monopolize the Superdrive when the only backup server scripts are set to backup to tape? Is there a way to prevent this behavior?

Yes, it's normal.

It's a Mac OS X thing; once Retrospect scans devices (which happens when a Backup Server script starts, or if you visit Configure->Devices from withing Retrospect) and loads the device's driver (which it has to do if it's going to have access to the drive) the keyboard key won't work until you quit. There's no way for Retrospect to ignore a specific device in OS X (the way it can in Classic Mac OS).

Dantz has said that there's no way that they can get around this, although that was back when 5.0 first shipped, and Mac OS X was at 10.1.5. Maybe things will change eventually.

Dave

Hi

From what you're saying, I suppose this issue is something that _may eventually_ be sorted out, but I'm not holding my breath. I nosed around a bit and did not see a way to ignore the offending device. It's more of an inconvenience than anything. I just need to remember to quit Retro each and every time I need to use the Superdrive. ;-) Oh well...

Thank you for your reply.

Regards,

Rick

When Retrospect reserves a CD-R/RW/DVD device, Apple's driver is temporarily disabled. When the Apple driver is disabled, there is no programmatic way to enable the eject button on your keyboard. We are working with Apple to fix this in future versions of Retrospect and OS X.

To be notified when a fix is available, please join this mailing list:

http://list.dantz.com/mailman/listinfo/mac_keyboard_eject

Archived