Retrospect 6.5 not backing up all machines, scanning strangely

today

I am running Retrospect 6.5.336 MultiServer, with the SQL and Exchange mailbox backups running.

Proactive Backup is acting all screwy. I can watch the highlight bar moving down the list of machines. I have 40 machines, 5 databases, and 40 mailboxes to backup, but it only scans the first 5-6 machines, then returns to the top. It is also scanning machines that are marked Inactive because the script they are attached to is inactive. That did not happen with version 6.0.

At one point, this all worked, but hardly any of my machines have been backed up since December 11th. The strange thing is that only a few of the mailboxes are getting backed up, and they are all in the same script. Only the top 5-6 machines in the list have been backed up. Also, they are not all from the same script, either. I have 7 different scripts running, some active, some not, due to time-of-day restrictions.

In any case, Retrospect should clearly never be scanning machines or mailboxes when they are marked Inactive due to the script being Inactive.

Thanks for any help,

-todd-

Okay, I did some futher tracking and verified that when you have the Proactive tab showing, with "Sources" selected from the drop-down box, the highlighted machine has absolutely *NOTHING* to do with reality. In other words, when it is scanning and looking for a machine to begin backing up, it moves the highlight bar through the list, giving one the illusion that the current machine being scanned is the one highlighted, but it isn't even close.

As for why Retrospect would scan a few machines, then pop back to the top of the list, missing the 85 or so backup jobs it needs to do, that was caused by a Macintosh OSX client that was at .106 instead of the most recent .109. So it silently prevented the backup of almost my entire network. I'm used to this sort of bug on the Macs, because there were similar bugs with the OS9 client as well that would cause SERVER to just hang on the Mac client if the Mac client was showing a warning dialog box.

Argh, Dantz needs to track this down. Client errors should never force the server to return to the top of the scan list.

-todd-

Archived