Stops executing with no error messages

coffeelover111

I am running a HP laptop with Windows XP Home with all possible updates installed. The hard drive is NTFS (100%). I am also running the latest version of retrospect software and driver. I am trying to back up to a seagate external tape drive connected to my laptop through a usb port. When I try and back up this machine it will run for a few minutes and then it just will sit there and do nothing for hours. I have to cancel the retrospect software to get it to stop executing. I have turned off system restore rebooted the machine, reinstalled the tape drive, and reinstalled the retrospect software with out any differences in the results. I have used this exact same setup on a different machine (only difference was windows 98) and it repeatedly works fine. I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

Hi

Windows XP has some issues with buffering and USB2. This error came up a lot but previously but I thought it had been fixed by an update from MSFT. You may want to check out the optional updates or look for a USB2 update. The other option - really slow though- is to hook the drive up to a USB 1.1 controller.

Nate

Archived