AIT tapes filling to capacity without using entire tape

i need to know why Retrospect is asking for a new AIT tape without filling up a tape to capacity? just this morning i came in to find one of my drives asking for a new tape after writing only 8GB of data to a 25GB native tape. there are times when a drive will only get to 22 or 23GB of data before asking for a new one, but 8GB? come on! that's ridiculous. AIT tapes are not cheap. i can't justify spending the money on new tapes if my back-up software won't even write data for half the capacity of the tape. what's going on? how can this be fixed?

this isn't a one time occurrence either. this has happened numerous times on the 5 different AIT back-up drives that i run.

also, why does data seem to be written better to certain back-up sets and not to others? i have a back-up set that allowed 37GB of data to be written to a 25/50GB tape and another back-up set on the same drive (run on a different day) only back up 22.7GB before asking for a new tape.

i need to have these tapes run as efficiently as possible. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Please see the following link for Media Capacity issues:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=common_questions_detail&ACTION=COMMON_QUESTIONS_DETAIL&id=49

Quote:

also, why does data seem to be written better to certain back-up sets and not to others? i have a back-up set that allowed 37GB of data to be written to a 25/50GB tape and another back-up set on the same drive (run on a different day) only back up 22.7GB before asking for a new tape.

This type of behavior can often be attributed to tapes that are wearing out. As tapes get older the capacity can start to decrease. See the link for a complete list of possibilities amd troubleshooting.

Archived