Retrospect 5.1 and problems backing up Win clients

I'm using Retrospect 5.1 on Mac OS X 10.2 and I'm having problems backing up files on the Windows clients (running Windows XP, Retrospect Client 6.5). The error messages I'm seeing:

Can't read file “outcmd.dat”, error -49 (file busy), path: “Freyja\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outcmd.dat”.

Can't read file “Outlook.pst”, error 4096 (unknown), path: “Freyja\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst”.

As for the -49 error message, I was under the assumption that Retrospect 5.1 + Retrospect Client 6.5 would be able to back up open files.

If have found no references to the 4096 error message. The clients are running Outlook 2000.

Regards,

Sigurdur

The outlook.pst is the mail file - containing mail, contact lists, calendar items, etc.

You may want to consider using Retrospect for Windows which has the ability to shut down Outlook files before backup, and open them when the backup is complete. Retrospect for Macintosh does not have the ability to interact with the OS in this way.

Another solution may be to incorporate the Outlook Backup add-on from Microsoft, which can create it's own backup file - which Retrospect can then backup. If Retrospect is backing up the Outlook backup file, then errors on the live outlook.pst file can be ignored.

• 1 month later...

So basically, Retrospect server for Mac is inadequate for backing up the vast majority of PC users ie those who use outlook and are interested in having email backup up?

Telling users to install obscure outlook backup scripts or to quit outlook seems like a strategy that will yield poor compliance.

Will this / could this be fixed in 6.0 for the Mac?

Archived