Disk space recycle

wrtell

Hi

I am a trial user of Retrospect Professional. I am not using the latest driver update. My OS is XP with all Microsoft fixes and service packs. Retrospect seems to be a fine product. I have run into 1 ' problem' and I hope this forum can assist me. I am using a 37 gig hard drive for my backup device.

I am using easy script to generate 7 backup executions. One for each day the week. This all seems to work fine. It appears that the initial backup in each set is a full backup and the rest are incremental backups.

My hard drive is full and the 1 ' problem ' I have is I am unable to release disk space.

I have deleted or 'forgotten 'members in the backup sets . I have deleted whole backup sets and still the drive remains full . There is nothing in the recycle bin that I might delete. Certainly no Retrospect files or backup sets processed by the forget command.

I have set a backup set to recycle and run an immediate backup . Still the drive remains full even though the reporting functions in Retrospect and the tools functions show that the backups members and even the back up set are no longer there.

Any suggestions advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you

If you delete a backup set, that will make Retrospect unhappy, and is not the best way to proceed.

Start Retrospect, then tell Retrospect to FORGET each backup set you wish to remove.

Once a backup set is forgotten, you can delete the files for the backup sert with no ill effect on Retrospect.

Otherwise, I do not know whether Retrospect is continuously monitoring drives on which backup sets reside. If so, perhaps, Retrospect is preventing you from deleting a backup set that has not been forgotten.

If REtrospect is not doing such monitoring, then something has likely caused the drive to fill up. I would suggest running a Scandisk and a defrag to see if any file system errors are detected.

Hi

Thank you for your response.

I only deleted files after I used the Forget command. I have run Scandisk. Retrospect still does not release the space

It seems that I have to do something more than just run Forget and recycle on my Disk backup sets Recycle may delete the file logically from Retrospect The space is not freed up. It somehow is still in use . Do I manually have to clear out the files for the windows trash can? Does the Windows XP system recovery process need some settings changed to not protect Retrospect backups. Any thoughts would be appreciated .

Quote:

wrtell said:

Hi

Thank you for your response.

I only deleted files after I used the Forget command. I have run Scandisk. Retrospect still does not release the space

It seems that I have to do something more than just run Forget and recycle on my Disk backup sets Recycle may delete the file logically from Retrospect The space is not freed up. It somehow is still in use . Do I manually have to clear out the files for the windows trash can? Does the Windows XP system recovery process need some settings changed to not protect Retrospect backups. Any thoughts would be appreciated .

If you are backing up to DISK backup sets on a hard drive, e.g., USB/Firewire, once you tell Retrospect to Forget a backup set, you can delete the backup set using Windoze Explorer.

Indeed, tho I do not recommend others try this, you should be able to do the following:

1. On a USB drive, I have 2 backup sets, let's call them A and B.

2. Copy, say, A to "Copy of A".

3. You have now used more disk space used.

4. Now DELETE A in Windozer Explorer. Retrospect does not prevent this.

5. Now rename "Copy of A" to "A".

6. Start Retrospect.

7. See what backup sets are listed.

8. You should still see backup sets a and B, as Retrospect was unaffected by the above mischieveous actions.

Note that Forget does not cause the space to be freed, you still need to either DELETE the backup set using Windoze Explorer or have Retrospect "remember" the backup set and then run a recyle backup set to reuse the space.

Archived