Application Retrospect has unexpectedly quit on startup

Hi there,

Has anybody run into the problem where you create more than one "Run Script", and try to open them all at once (select all in finder, and hit CTRL-O to open them). I get "The application Retrospect has unexpectedly quit".

I can open each one, one at a time, but since some of these will take hours, I'd love to start them all in the evening, and let them run one after the other. The manual states this should work.

I'm running Retrospect Desktop 5.1.175 under OSX 10.2.8 on an old G3 Yosemite (Blue and White) that is pretty much dedicated to Retrospect and Indigo (Home Automation software). However, when this occurs, Retrospect is the only app running.

TIA, Steve

Hi,

You are talking about run documents right? The icons you can save?

I haven't run into this problem before. Are you using an upgrade CPU card on your mac?

I take it you don't want to set a schedule for your backups? Using a couple backup server scripts might work around the problem.

Thanks

Nate

Yes, the "save as a run document" icons are what I'm talking about. This is a generic G3 (Blue and White) running generic OSX 10.2.8.

I use this machine only for a "backup server" and my home automation software. It does nothing else, so I've intentionally kept all the "toys" off of it (they're all installed on my TiPB).

I'm still trying to figure out the combination that makes it break. I can run any of them "one at a time", but as soon as I select more than one, I get the "unexpectedly quit".

Is anybody out there able to open more than one "run script" in Retrospect 5.1 at one time and have Retrospect actually start processing or is this something I alone am running into?

TIA, Steve

Funny you should mention that (see earlier in this thread). I've got two 128Mb cards and 2 64Mb cards in this machine. I've "moved them around" to try to make the problem more apparent, but everything else on this machine (including Photoshop, which I have removed recently) works great.

I have ordered new RAM (2 256Mb cards) to increase the amount of memory available, but I have a hard time believing this is hardware related. If I put the new memory in the machine and see this error again, I'm gonna unload a little emotion on all the replies in this thread that say "It's gotta be bad memory, because our software would never do that"....

Count on me wasting plenty of my precious spare time QA'ing the new version when I get home for a single day this weekend.

Steve

Whoops. The detail in that reply were posted to the wrong thread. That verbiage was intended to go with the assertion failed thread.

However, I will be able to experiement with this issue after installing new RAM this weekend, and will post the results here when I'm back in the hotel (what I call home).

Thanks (and sorry if I caused any confusion),

Steve

Archived