Maxtor 250GB NTFS, RE shows only 12% available

dzeleznik

Hi All,

I just purchased the Maxtor 250GB USB/Firwire drive that comes bundled with Retrospect Express 6.0.222. I have now formatted this drive twice using PartitionMagic as an NTFS extended partition with 4K clusters. PartitionMagic, Win2000, and Retrospect show the drive has 233.7G free. However, Retrospect's volume properties for the drive shows only 12% available in parenthesis. Indeed, when I do an immediate backup to this drive, I get an error -104 (unexpected end of media) when the backup reaches approximately 20GB total.

What is going on and how do I get Retrospect to see the entire drive as being available??

Thanks,

Dave

Hi

Are you able to format this drive using windows utilities rather than partition magic? Do you have trouble when you use a file backup set rather than a disk backup set?

Try going to the configure volumes database in Retrospect and "forgettting" the external drive. It will be redected when you relauch retrospect.

Nate

Quote:

Are you able to format this drive using windows utilities rather than partition magic? Do you have trouble when you use a file backup set rather than a disk backup set?

Thanks for your suggestions, I am working with Dantz tech support right now on the issue. Yes, I have tried reformatting the drive using windows instead of PartitionMagic and I get the same results: 233.8G total, 233.7G free (12% available). I have upgraded to the 6.5 Pro trial version on support's suggestion, but the results are the same. And no, I have not tried file backups, but I believe the issue is at a much more fundamental level in how Retrospect interfaces to the OS than the type of backup set chosen.

Quote:

Try going to the configure volumes database in Retrospect and "forgettting" the external drive. It will be redected when you relauch retrospect.

There is no way to forget a "local volume" as far as I can tell....

Dave

Archived