Disappearing devices...

Am having a nightmare with Retrospect v5.0 - the initial problem started about a week ago when the tape library (Sony AIT SA400C 4-slot) suddenly ceased to be recognized in Retrospect or via the SCSI utility (Adaptec PowerDomain Control for installed Adaptec PowerDomain 29160). After a couple of restarts the drive reappeared, I started my backups but next morning came in to find it had all fallen over with the message 'lost connection to device' (or something similar). After a couple of days of playing around, which included several such failures, including program freezing when scanning for devices or scanning the device itself for tapes, I gave up and upgraded to OSX; installed Retrospect 5.0.238 and the new Adaptec driver for 29160 card in OSX (10.2). Things worked smoothly until just now when the tape library asked for a new set of tapes after filling up the 4 inserted tapes. Ejected the magazine, replaced with 4 blank tapes, then the program locked up. Restarted, and now have the same problem where the device does not show up no matter what I do. This is driving me up the wall I need to get some backups done !!! All help much appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...

I invested in a new ATTO UL3S SCSI card, installed - device shows up in OS9 now and seems ok but STILL not recognised under OSX. I have installed ATTO's 2.0.5 driver set. When scanning for devices the window flashed up for about a second before reporting no devices found. It doesn't look as though it's even scanning anything although the card is recognised under the system profiler. ????? cryrub.gif

OK... after fiddling with the cabling / termination, I now have consistent performance in OS9 again with the new ATTO card appl.gif It would seem that there was an intermitent connection problem here, even though all looked fine doh.gif. ANYWAY I've booted back into OS10.2.6 and under device status this is what I see:

ID VENDOR PRODUCT VERSION DRIVER

SCSI-A:0 SONY TSL-A300C L202 Sony AIT DC (5.01)

SCSI-A:0 SONY TSL-A300C L202 (0.00)

Device is not recognised as an autoloader; pretty sure that the device status shouldn't look as it does above.

Hi

Retrospect 5.0 is not compatible with the 2.0 drivers from Atto. You will need to either upgrade to Retrospect 5.1 and apply the SCSI patch or downgrade your Atto drivers to the 1.6 version.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=28064

That should sort it out for you. You can always download a trial version of Retrospect 5.1 to make sure it will work.

Nate

I couldn't find the 1.6 drivers so went and installed the Retrospect 5.1 trial - installed the SCSI update as well, yet STILL having problems. Under device, the drive is listed as Sony DAT DDS-DC (It's a Sony AIT1 TSL-SA400C) - then when I scan media, the drive spits out the cartridge whenever it gets to scanning the last tape (irrespective of what tapes are inserted)... it's bizarre :-(

Hi

What does Retrospect recognize the device as under OS9? What is the firmware version listed there?

Do you have anything else attached to the SCSI bus? If so try leaving the drive as the only SCSI device.

The card and the device are both 68 pin devices right? i.e. you are not using any SCSI cable converters or anything?

Nate

OS 9 also recognises the device as Sony DAT DDS-DC, and has stopped working properly, when scanning media it stalls and has to be force quit. It is the only SCSI device attached, 68pin VHDCI cable to HD68 on drive, terminated. I have changed the drive for another Sony AIT TSL-SA400C autoloader (new) with the same results. I have swapped the card out to another G4 and set up, again, same results. Driving me mad. mango.gif

Anyone able to offer any other suggestions? It's a real mystery this and I've tried everything but am now weeks without a backup (I backup 30 people's client PC / Macs with this machine) - to all intents and purposes the original problem is resolved - the device no longer disappears, it is just recognised as a DAT autoloader and not AIT for some reason and will not change tapes. Selecting any media from the four in Retrospect results in a scan of the media (it does actually get the drive to change tapes) but then unloads the tape again and reports 'no media'. I have eliminated the G4, the SCSI card, and the drive as the problem as all have been replaced. I could just be seriously unlucky I suppose :-(

BTW... looking under device status this morning (still in OSX) it now reads as follows:

ID VENDOR PRODUCT VERSION DRIVER

SCSI-A:3 "ONY 'SL-A300(tick) A(with an accent over it)701 SONY DAT DDS-DC (5.04)

That doesn't look right. The cables and terminator are also new and it is the only device connected.

Steves did you get the problem solved?

I have tape drive that recently started disppearing. Its VXA on SCSI.

I had to power down the drive and the computer, then power the drive then the machine backup and it would work for a while. But has completely stopped. Apple profiler would "see" the device, but Retrospect.

I am still having problems and there is just no pattern to it, or any solution it seems. The disappearing device seems to have been solved but then again I did have to replace the computer, SCSI card, drive and cables to achieve this!! I can't pinpoint where the problem came from but it's gone now with all the new kit, only to be replaced by the current issues I'm having with recognising it as the correct drive type.

Hi

My apologies for the slow response.

If OS9 is having trouble too you can bet this is a drive failure. The Scrambled inquiry string pretty much guarantees it. Are there any firmware updates availible for the drive? Does sony have any diagnostics you can run?

Thanks

Nate

I've had a look around for firmware updates but couldn't find anything from a Mac side or diagnostics.. was beginning to think both the drives could be the problem just a real pain that both should go round about the same time !

Thanks for your help, I'll have to send both AIT's back to Sony for repair :-(

Archived