retro 5.6 not seeing second tape drive

Currently, I have Retrospect 5.6 running on a Windows 2k machine. I have an adaptec 2940U2W host card, and one Sony SDX-500C ext. tape drive connected to it. This was how it was set up when I took over this position, and has been working just fine.

I recently purchased a second Sony SDX-500C ext. tape drive, and daisy-chained in onto the first. The host is on ID 7, the original tape drive on ID 5, and the new one on ID 8. I know the cabling and termination is correct, because the adaptec's SCSI utility detects all the devices on their proper ID's.

When I first installed the new drive, windows 2k did not automagically detect it. I added the drvie manually, using the Sony drivers (same ones installed for the first drive). After that point, Windows could see the device. Retrospect could see the device on the SCSI bus, but did not recognize it as a valid tape device.

I installed the latest version of ASPI, and now windows no longer sees the drive in the device manager, and retrospect does not see it on the bus. I have no idea where to go from here.

Hi

If windows did not automatically detect it there is a problem of some kind. I would change the ID to 2 or 3 and try it again. I would also uninstall it from windows and work with it untill it auto detects the device.

As a test try connecting only the new tape drive to the SCSI bus.

Nate

I switched the SCSI ID to 4 and reinstalled. This time windows sees the drive as an unknown device. When I apply the sony drivers it shows up as a sony tape drive just like the original tape drive. However, retrospect still does not see the drive in the device tab, nor does it see the device on the bus in the enviroment tab.

Archived