off site storage

mmoncino

The question is how to make a backup that "stores" the incremental information separate from the full backup? This is all for personal use -- not a commercial business

the situation -- I have about 6 GB of files -- docs, excel, and ppt presentations (no pictures of the kids and NO applications) on 3 partitions. Each partition is a grouped set of data.

I make 2 backups a day - to separate DVD's.

The problem is that I would like to use on offsite online storage company for a one of the 2 backups instead of rotating on site DVD's. As an individual, my ISP limits my upload speed to ~ 128kb/s and so 6 GB takes -- a long time to upload.

I could handle the upload time IF I could upload a back up once and then upload the small incremental changed backups nightly -- it would take a few minutes.

IS there a way to have an incremental backup file that contains only the changes SEPARATE from the full backup????

mark

Hi

We can probably get something to work for you here but some things still need clarification:

I think you are talking about doing the initial backup on DVD and then copying only the new and changed files to the off site storage right? That won't work. if you plan on copying any incremental backups off site you will need to use a "disk" backup set.

By default retrospect only adds new and changed files to a backup set. You could start a disk backup set locally to do your initial backup and then do your incrementals from that point forward to the remote disk. How do you access the remote disk? It must be available in Windows networking in order for this to work.

Nate

I actually do a backup to TWO different DVD disk sets -- one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I was thinking to change one of those to a backup to a seperate hard drive or hard drive partition and then up load THAT file to the the offsite storage site. That way one of the scripts is on site and one is "off site". The oFfsite one I would upload every few days to once a week -- maybe nightly.

What you are saying is to continue to use 2 scripts -- BOTH to DVD's. Then I could upload the DVD (the files span 2-3 DVD's). Then I would tell retrospect to use a NEW DVD and I would have incremenals from that point forward. The problem is that new file will gain in size incrementally with each day and therefore upload size would increase. What I was hoping for was a way to have a new file created EACH day that was only the new changed files in the last day or week and then upload that smaller file.

Make sense

the problem is my upolad speed (as are all of our upload speeds for personal DSL accounts) is limited -- I'd have to spend 6 times more to increase the speed 3 times to 384kps -- a bit too much money (and 11 times more to increase it to 768 (11 times faster).

mark

Hi

Backup is probably not the best solution here. How about doing a "duplicate" instead? This will make a remote disk or folder identical to the source disk or folder. Much like mirroring. The upside is you have a full clean copy of your most recent duplicate. The downside is you won't maintain a file version history.

In any case it is the best solution given your bandwidth and size restraints.

Nate

correct me if I am wrong....is not a duplicate a LARGER file than a backup. If I wanted to upload this on a routine basis, I would be uploading a HUGE file once a week (and delteing the previous file) or I would somehomw have to keep track of what files changed weekely and upload that.

Or am I missing something?

Hi

You actually have it backwards. I just put together the attached document on the subject - let me know if it doesn't clear it up for you.

Duplicate is going to minimize the data that is stored on your remote drive. You won't be able to compress the data but it still should be best for you.

Nate

Great--the attachment was VERY nice. And now I understand. I think I know the answer to this.....but here goes: "Can Retrospect run a duplicate and upload it by FTP or do I have to run duplicate, save it to a partition on my hard drive (it is too large for a single DVD) and then upload the duplicate by FTP myself".

mark

Darn I thought we had this sorted...

You are right, you will have to do the dupe locally first and then do a manual FTP. You may be able to script something like that with a shell script. Not Ideal for sure, not a bootable image of your drive either.

Here is probably closest to what you had in mind:

Do a backup to hard drive using the "disk" backup set in Retrospect.

Then FTP that data to your remote location. You will have to do the FTP manually but you will have a fully restorable system backup stored off site.

Nate

Which gets back to the original question (which I think is not do-able with Retrospect) --even with DSL, because it is a personal account, my upload speeds are limited to 128 (although I usually get about 200). To upload a 6 GB file will take about 20 hours, if I did the calculation correctly.

I am will to upload my backup ONCE for that duration, but not frequently - hence the desire to upload SUBSEQUENT backup as incrementals --- which Retrospect does not allow me to do. I could back up to a DVD, upload that and THEN do a skip disk and upload the incremental form then on (until the "new skipped" backup gets too large, and then do another skip DVD). Another option is to continue with what I do (rotating DVD backups). A third option is to switch software - which I am not willing to do yet.

make sense? (PS..and thanks for your help in talking about this)

mark doh.gif

Hi

Just to be clear:

An incremental backup is going to add data to your backup no matter what. So even if you do copy just the incremental data your remote disk is still going to get full

Retrospect will never just overwrite/update/modify/delete new and changed data in the backup set. I think that is what you want it to do though...

The fundamental problem is that you cannot copy data from your DVD-R/RW backup sets. The disks are in a proprietary format that only Retrospect can read. In other words you won't be able to access just the incremental data.

Sorry I don't have a better solution for this. Any chance you could make the remote drive available via VPN?

Nate

I am not sure what a VPN is. What I wanted to do, was use a commercial vendor for off iste storage --- ths would work perfectly IF I had unlimited upload speed.

I guess I will go back to my 2 rotating backup plan, as for personal use I cannot justify,nor afford, corporate DSL plans with upload speeds that would allow me to do, what I want to do.

Thnaks

mark

Archived