Blue Screen of Death with Tape

We are having problems with making backups with Retrospect 6.5 Single Server. The system is set to make a back up of several Windows NT 4.0 workstations and is hosted on a like machine. Retrospect will start the backup and run a random length of time finally crashing the system with a blue screen. Upon reboot the system shows a Retrospect error box for "backup failed due to power failure or system crash".

The backup is to a Quantum vs80 drive, brand new out of the box with a new cable, new terminator attached to a new Adaptec 29160 SCSI card. The system seems to run stable under normal conditions, but ALWAYS crashes at some point in the backup with no log showing the point of failure.

Where is a good point to start tracking the failure? Is it hardware or software? Any quick responses are appreciated, thanks!

Hi

Since this is NT my first suspicion is that it is a driver or memory management problem. Make sure the drivers for the tape drive are not loaded in Windows (Retrospect has its own drives for the tape drive). Also make sure you have updated drivers for the SCSI card.

How much RAM is in the machine and what kind of Processor are you using?

Thanks

Nate

Just to sum it all up:

I cannot say for sure which of these solved the problem, but he is what I did and it seems to have fixed that problem altogether. Upon further investigation the RAM had been overclocked by the user (so I set it back to the proper setting). Additionally the C: parition on the machine did not have enough space to dump the physical RAM, so I increased the partition size with Partition Magic. And I removed the driver for the tape drive from Windows NT, and left it in Retrospect per your suggestion.

Like I said, I could not tell you which one of these solved it since I made all three changes and rebooted and ran the backup without any problems.

Thanks for the help, hope this post helps someone else out some day in the future.

Archived