Is it possible to do this?

I'm using Retro 6.0 single server on a Windows 2000 SBS server. I am not terribly

experienced with Retrospect so please have mercy if I am missing something obvious.

What I want to do is establish one baseline backup to 'Main Backup Set' using 'Tape 1' and then run incrementals M-F, using a different tape for each day. I could use an erased tape on Monday's incremental, but then when the backup runs Tuesday, it will look for the

Monday tape since it is the most recent member of the set. So I'm stuck here having

to use the most recent member of the set until it fills up. This seems like a big risk -

if something happens to that most recent tape, then I have no backup except the baseline.

If I backup to a different set each day of the week, then I have basically have to run

a complete backup for that first week to establish the baseline for each of 5 sets, which would almost fill up 5 x $60 DLT tapes (I have about 38GB of data). Then I would use another 5 tapes for the incrementals. That would work - but that is expensive.

I want to use one set, with one tape that has the baseline, and five different tapes

for M-F incrementals. How do I do this?

Thanks

Hi

It can be done but there is a lot of weekly manual labor involved. Retrospect is pretty much designed NOT to do this.

Since your incrementals are pretty much meaningless without the prior days tapes, Retrospect uses a tape until it is full. Maybe we can come up with a workaround for you. Can you explain why you want to have the incrementals on different tapes?

Thanks

Nate

I want to do this because as you said, an incremental backup is pretty much useless

without the prior day's tape. So, if I use the same tape M-Thurs, and the tape somehow

gets damaged on Thursday, then I have lost all of my incrementals for the prior few days.

I understand that I can still do this with four backup sets (Monday set, Tuesday set, etc),

but that means creating a baseline backup for each of those sets. With approximately

38GB of data, this means I use an entire tape for each of the baseline backups for the four sets, then one incremental tape for each. That more or less quadruples my cost for media,

and as I'm sure you know, DLT tapes don't come cheap.

It seems to be quite a tradeoff.

Hi,

So the initial backup will fit on one tape right?

Why not run 4 sets and do a recycle (full) backup every time? That way you have 4 full backups on hand. You'll be covered even if 3 of the tapes go bad. You won't need the extra incremental tape either.

The other option would be a 2 set rotation (Mon/Wed/Fri and Tues/Thurs).

Is any of that possible for you?

Nate

Archived