Internet Backup of Windows

I’ve searched the manual and Dantz, but am confused about how to back up a Windows 2000 computer over the Internet.

Mac Retrospect Server 5.1.175, OS X 10.2.6, Tape Drive

Retrospect Client 6.5.131, Windows 2000 Server (located in another city)

I go to Configure/Clients/Network/Add by Address, enter the public IP of the Windows computer, and it can’t be found. I then went to Configure/Clients/Network/TCPIP/Configure Subnet Broadcast, and entered the IP and subnet of the Windows computer, and it still can’t be found.

1) Does a Retrospect Client work over the Internet?

2) Wonder if it’s a firewall issue?

3) I assume Retrospect FTP backup should work, assuming I had a big enough FTP server drive?

Thanks...

Hi

Are you saying this windows computer is a live server on the internet? Can you access it via IP address when not using Retrosepct?

The best way to do this would be to set up a VPN connection to the windows 2000 machine.

Can you give some more details on your network setup?

Thanks

Nate

Yes, the Windows box is a Web server live on the Internet, running IIS. It's located in another city. I installed the Retrospect Client on it and tried to access it via the Configure/Clients section in Retrospect for OS X. I couldn't "see" the Windows box. There is a firewall in our office and also where the Windows box is located. Maybe specific ports are closed on one or both ends?

Hi

The problem is the firewall but to be honest, this is not such a good idea. Running Retrospect client leaves port 497 open on your server - open ports on publicly accessable servers can be a security risk.

What is your goal for backup? Do you want to backup the entire server OS and all or just the data? Let us know so we can work out a safer way to do things.

Nate

Firewall...that was a thought I had since it should work, firewall aside. We are just looking to backup the data (sites, databases, mail). I was going to try Retrospect first, but a friend suggested off site FTP backup services. To be totally honest, we aren't really sure what we want, we just need something.

Thanks for all your help.

Excellent question. Don't really know how to answer that. The person who actually manages this server lives in the same city as the server. He and I were bouncing ideas around to come up with a backup plan. That's where Retrospect fit in from my remote location. Retrospect aside now, we are considering installing a tape drive in the server or maybe going with an FTP backup service.

Archived