Retrospect 5.1 workgroup, Exabyte 10e, Exabyte 8500c and G5 - Freezing backups

I've finally got all my pieces in place and installed in my G5. Aquired an ATTO ExpressPCI UL3S and installed the latest drivers. Installed the SCSI update. Got to the point that Retrospect is seeing and working with all the devices. I was able to erase/scan all the magazine slots/tapes. However, after attempting to do a complete system backup (2 times I tried with the same results) Retrospect freezes after writing 8.4G of data. I assume this is the end of the capacity of the first tape and another is required. Should not be an issue since all the tapes in the library are erased and in unattended mode (at least as I recall running Retrospect on a G4) it should pick the next tape. It doesn't. It basically is stuck. The first tape remains in the drive at EOM (End of Media).

Suggestions are more than welcome.

Ian

Archiving to DVDR seems to work (this is not ideal - considered bare minimum requirement). SCSI tape drive is still an issue. I'm running the latest firwmware from ATTO on this UL3S 66Mhz card with an Exabyte 10h-8505 attached. This configuration used to work flawlessly on my G4 (which I was hoping to sell - guess not...) but does not seem to work on the G5 because of either:

1) the SCSI card or the firmware on the SCSI card ddoes not work correctly. (doubtfull since Retropsect was able to do an inventory, erase all slots).

2) Retrospect + the scsi update has flaws and still does not support G5 machines in total.

Seriously disappointed... Escpecially after dropping some heavy cash on the ATTO card to get support. I really need/require being able to take advantage of a tape library and it slots/tape device. flipping/swaping DVDR media is not an option.

Ian

Archived