Error -1019. Not Enough Resources

jsnyder

Ok, this is a VERY important problem that I need to get solved quickly. On one of my backup servers when I go to open up a Snapshot to retrieve files it reports: "No snapshot found for this session".

Now the backup set lists all the snapshot "supposedly contained within it", but none of them can be opened. They all report the above error.

When I look in Retrospect Event I see all throught the log "Cannot save snapshot in <backupsetname>. error -1019 (not enough resources)"

1. How do I get my data out of the backupset without viable snapshots?

2. How do I correct this problem going forward?

3. Can the backup sets be fixed?

Jeff

Hi

First off you can search by file name to restore files. That function operates without using snapshots.

What OS are you running on? What OS where you backing up when these snapshots should have been saved? Were you using file sharing or Retrospect client to access network files? How Much RAM is on the system and how much free space is available on the disk where Retrospect is installed?

You can attempt a catalog rebuild but if Retrospect was unable to save a snapshot during the backup you will not be able to access it for a restore.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks Nate. Actually, after calming down I was able to walk away and come back and figure out how to get the data off without the snapshots. So that is good.

To answer you question about my configuration:

1. The OS on both the backup server and client is Windows 2000 Server

2. The backup server has 1GB RAM

3. I am doing backup to disk not to tape

4. I am using the backup client, not a file share to backup the data

5. The backup location has many GB's of space for the backup sets so I know it is not a disk space issue.

The only configuration change from my other servers is that even with 1GB RAM Retrospect would use up almost all the memory and CPU cycles on the backup server since it is running close to 20 large jobs. So I built another server as the location to hold the backup sets and then connected the two servers together via a cross over cable and a secondary NIC. Basically a "poor man's NAS device" kinda setup. This took the I/O overhead off the backup server running the Retrospect software. The backup sets themselves are fine and the transfer speed is good, but for some reason the snapshots are running out of resources. Something else to note is that this is not happening to all the jobs, just some of them. I cannot find a pattern between the jobs erring off and those that are not.

Thanks

Hi

Is Retrospect running on both of these machines? Is it possible that 2 jobs are writing to a backup set at the same time? Long shot but it is worth asking.

The snapshot is stored in the catalog file first and then moved to the backup media after a newer one is added. Where are the catalogs stored now?

I assume you have these jobs running concurrently? Does lowering the number of Execution units in Retrospect make a difference?

Thanks

Nate

Retrospect is not running at all on the server holding the backupsets. In fact, nothing is running on that server except the OS. I made sure of that.

I am checking the backup sets and am not seeing where another job is trying to save to the same backup set. Tho that same thought did cross my mind...but I have about 10 jobs that this is happening on and not just one.

I am only running 3 execution threads at one time and the server has 1GB RAM. I cannot take it down to 2 threads as I would then start to have backups running into the day time. Tho this does give me an idea to run a single job later in the day and see if it errors off when no other jobs are running. I am hoping that isn't the case as cutting back on the number of threads is not an option.

Any other thoughts?

So basically the solution is no one knows and I should just troubleshoot on my own. Obviously if Retrospect took this time to put an error message into their software that says "Error -1019. Not Enough Resources" then someone at Retrospect should know what causes this condition. What's the point of having error messages if no one knows what they are from or how to correct them?

Archived