Making a progressive backup for a backup set

djg

I am having problems making a progressive backup. Don't know if it is me not understanding the program or it does not work the way I want it to.

For information this is being backed up to a USB (2) external drive.

I have made a full backup of selected files and folders on various drives and

the backup set has been saved. This was achieved without problem. According to

the help file doing a subsequent backup should be progressive on the changed

files. This is not happening since it is selecting all the files and folders I

did not previously select, plus on a least one drive it is showing all the files

to be backed up again. These I know have not been changed.

In most other backup programs loading the backup set will just select the chosen

files. This does not seem to happen in Retrospect. The summary is showing a

total of 19.7gb with a 'Need to Copy' of 6.7 gb.

I would appreciate some help with this.

David

Hi

It sounds like you used the "files chosen" button to select files for backup? If so you need to save those selections if you want to use them again. There is a button at the top left of the browser window that will let you do this.

You can also create a custom selector that will include/exclude files based on the criteria you choose. Setting up a selector can take some time but it is worth it in the end.

Are you using Retrospect client to backup your network machines? It is a much better way to access network data.

Nate

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I cannot find the button you allude to. There is a new script button but that does not seem to help. Do you mean the 'Save Highlights' button?

At the moment I am not including the network and is not strictly necessary.

Regards

David

Thanks

Can see how that works, though it seems clumsy.

I am saving each drive under an individual name. So when you come to select those files agine and do a progressive you have to load each individually and make separate jobs of them rather than selecting them all and making one batch. Is this correct?

David

Hi

once you have saved highlights for each disk you will have a bunch of selectors created. You can then add all of those selectors to another selector.

It goes like this

create a new selector

in the include section click on the plus sign and add one of your premade selectors.

Then add an "and" condition that matches the disk or client name.

do this for the rest of your selectors making sure they have "or" conditions between them.

Use the blue check mark icon to test your selector on a volume to make sure it works.

It sounds harder than it is...

Nate

Hi Nate

Think I am coming to terms with this software.

I had a crash with 2k and because I had been having some other problems with it thought that I would re install it. However I was unable to recover the configuration I had before and gave up after 2 days. So I went back to Retrospect and was surprised how simply and well it did the restore and I had not got round to doing a backup CD so doing it the hard way.

I have been looking at the other backup s/w around and although they are easier (and a bit cheaper) they are not so comprehensive.

David

Archived