stupid mistake...my bad...help?

hi all,

I posted this in the Mac OS9 section, but haven't got any response. Sorry if i'm being redundant by posting here. I plan on calling Dantz Tech Support directly and paying the tech sup. fee if i can't get a direction from here or my computer service guys.

so, here goes:

I have two firewire drives hooked up to my Mac Server. I was preparing one of the drives to be a backup set, which, essentially 'initializes' the drive.

uggggh...to my total dismay, I selected the wrong drive, and followed through with the "are you sure you want to do this?" warning messages without double checking myself.

I didn't realize what i had done until i saw the access light blinking on the 'wrong' hard drive, and i stopped the execution about 15 seconds after it started.

This was on a 120 gig hard drive, which had about 60 or 70 gigs of valuable information on it.

Now, I DO REALIZE that i'm the stupid one here. However, does anyone have any suggestions of how to possibly recover the data that is on there?

I have tried using Norton's Unerase feature of Norton Utilities, but no luck. I am just hoping that there might be some way to salvage some of the data since i stopped the initialization procedure so quickly, but I'm not sure if I should get my hopes up.

any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

rich atkinson

Hi

Dantz TS isn't going to be able to help you here. You need a data recovery service. Try drivesavers.com. They do a very good job.

By the way, it sounds like you are using your hard drives with "Removeable disks" backup sets in Retrospect. We strongly recommend using "file" backup sets instead.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27501

Nate

Quote:

asopaque said:

hi all,

I posted this in the Mac OS9 section, but haven't got any response. Sorry if i'm being redundant by posting here. I plan on calling Dantz Tech Support directly and paying the tech sup. fee if i can't get a direction from here or my computer service guys.

so, here goes:

I have two firewire drives hooked up to my Mac Server. I was preparing one of the drives to be a backup set, which, essentially 'initializes' the drive.

uggggh...to my total dismay, I selected the wrong drive, and followed through with the "are you sure you want to do this?" warning messages without double checking myself.

I didn't realize what i had done until i saw the access light blinking on the 'wrong' hard drive, and i stopped the execution about 15 seconds after it started.

This was on a 120 gig hard drive, which had about 60 or 70 gigs of valuable information on it.

Now, I DO REALIZE that i'm the stupid one here. However, does anyone have any suggestions of how to possibly recover the data that is on there?

I have tried using Norton's Unerase feature of Norton Utilities, but no luck. I am just hoping that there might be some way to salvage some of the data since i stopped the initialization procedure so quickly, but I'm not sure if I should get my hopes up.

any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

rich atkinson

CAVEAT:

If the drive is still under warranty, you must use ONLY a data recovery service authorized by the drive manufacturer, otherwise you might void the warranty on the hard drive.

Note that most drive manufacturers have a list of authorized data recovery services at their web site.

A number of years ago, HP would allow me to use ONLY OnTrack (www.ontrack.com), one of the more widely know services.

I'm stupid too.

after doing a backup of my main drive to cd/dvd backupset, I intended to reformat that drive and then do a restore.

on the reformat part I forgot that the catalogue was on that drive(the stupid part)

so I found that you can rebuild catalogues from the backup set. my backup set consist of one dvdrw(the first disc), one cdrw(disc #2), and two dvdrs(one being full, of course)

that third disc(one of two of thea dvdrs, the full one), is the problem disc. (of course it would be since it has most of my current information on it). it is now "write protected" as to opposed to "ready" status and so when it's his turn to be put on, the drive takes it in but all it does is whir and blink green in an annoying repetition (you know--like when record player gets to the end but the needle just stays there and doesn't turn off)

I found this had been going on for two hours when I woke up thinking I got a fresh start. I sure got that. I ended up having to use a snapshot from april. that's 7 months old-- before I did my dvd studio uptodate, before my upgrade to jaguar, before my most important emails, and before my itunes store music purchases and and other songs i just downloaded.

is there anyway to get that third disc unlocked. so what if it is locked. I just want to read the data on it.

can anybody help? cryrub.gif

Archived