Recent RDU that improved support for older tape libraries?

I remember one of the recent RDUs for Retrospect 5.1 improved support for older tape libraries - at least I think it did!

I do a have a memory of finally being able to get my ADIC 1200D tape library recognised by Retrospect 5.x.... I couldn't use it at the time because there was a mechanical problem but I've fixed that and now Retrospect has gone back to ignoring the loader part again!

Can anyone remember which RDU I'm referring to? Any suggestions about how to revert to a "clean" Retrospect install (would using the uninstall option in the installer be the best?)

Thanks,

Adrian Smith

Hi

You can revert back to the base driver update by removing the retrospect driver update file that is in your Retrospect folder. Whenever a new version of Retrospect is released all of the previous updates are rolled into the new version. If you are using 5.1 you have all of the updates that were in 5.0

Chances are this is not an RDU problem. Can you post some more details about the SCSI setup on this machine?

Thanks

Nate

OK, some more background here...

Retrospect 5.0 broke support for ADIC 1200D tape libraries because of the way the SCSI was set up. Dantz engineering looked into it for me and at the time I thought they had decided it was too much effort for a library that must not be very widely used anymore...

Anyway, I noticed in the release notes for one of the recent driver updates that there was improved support for older libraries (or something like that - the actual downloads I have just refer to the web-site for notes and the web-site only has the notes for the last release).

When I tried it at the time it actually worked and I was all set to go again but the tape drive in the library had a problem with its door. Now that I have fixed that (by replacing the drive) I can't get Retrospect to recognise the loader part of the machine anymore. It comes up with "no driver" under device status (OS 9) or just "scsi" (OS X). (exaclty as it used to)

I've tried it on both an 8600, a G4 and 7200 with a variety of Mac OSs... It still works fine in Retrospect 4.3 but not in 5.x...

Maybe I imagined that support had been added back!

Adrian

Hi

I don't recall hearing about this issue (i.e. abandoning support for older drives) and I can't find any mention of it in the Dantz hardware reference.

I would try the newest RDU and then turn on SCSI logging in Retrospect`s secret preferences. You can do this by holding down the "option" key and then clicking on the "preferences" button on the "special" tab in Retrospect.

Your log will fill with SCSI info but it should say "found device at IDxxx" or something like that. Make sure those settings match with what is set on the loader.

What are the loader and drive ID settings anyway?

Thanks

Nate

Thanks Nate,

I've actually disconnected it for now as I had to get some backups done smile.gif

I'll try playing with it again as soon as I get a chance.

The discussion I had was with "PJ" on the beta (Mac 5.1) mailing list.

It wasn't so much a case of "adandoning" support as an unexpected side effect of some of the changes made in Retrospect 5.0. There was some to and fro but in the end I thought it was decided that nothing would be done because a newer ADIC firmware didn't have the issue.

(Actually tt was a little more complicated than that because the firmware which HWQA was recommending was higher than that recommended in the online database. And then ADIC quoted me close to $1000 to upgrade the firmware... so I just gave up (and I wasn't particularly disappointed because it is an old machine even if it doesn't have many hours clocked up)).

But then I thought I saw a note in one of the RDU release notes and tried it again and I'm sure it worked but I can't get it going now...

Adrian

PS I've tried a lot of different SCSI ID combinations - I'm aware of the "suggestion" to have them at least 2 apart, eg I've had the drive at 3 or 4 and the loader at 6 etc.

Archived