Getting an ADIC Fastor Library to automatically switch tapes...

I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.6, Retrospect Server 5.0.205, an Atto ExpressPCIProUL3D SCSI card and an ADIC Faststor LTO 7 slot tape library. The drive and card are both shown as compatible on the Dantz site.

Retrospect can see the ADIC drive just fine and back up and restore to it (YEAH!)

However, every time retrospect fills up a tape, the program waits for me to manually eject the old tape and load a new one before continuing instead of automatically loading the tape itself.

I looked in the Retrospect manual and the only information I can find for running in unattended mode tells me to use the Control Menu to choose Run Unattended. I have tried to choose this but when I double check it, the Run Unattended is not checked.

What am I doing wrong? I have a lot of data to back up and doing this manually when I have an autoloader tape drive is for the birds.

Thanks,

Sean

Hey Nate,

First I'd just like to say, "Doh!" I have now updated the software and I noted that running scripts unattended is one of the fixes in that release.

I am backing up using scripts but I have started a couple of manual backups for testing purposes. Is there a difference when it comes to unattended backups?

I'll also let you know if the update fixes my problem.

Thanks,

Sean

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I would do this (if you haven't already)

Make an extra copy of your Retro.config preference file somewhere on your hard disk. Then run the Retrospect uninstaller -an option in the Retrospect 5.0.238 setup program. After the uninstall reboot the machine and reinstall Retrospect using only the 5.0.238 installer.

At that point you can try to run your backup with clean preference files or copy your old ones back to the Retrospect preferences folder.

Are you using a password with your backup set?

Thanks

Nate

I saved the preferences, unistalled, restarted, reinstalled, restored the preferences and ran a backup and when it finished the first tape it asked for a second rather than autoloading the tape. There is a passwrd on the Retrospect program itself, not on the individual backup script. Could this be a problem? Should I just trash the preferences and start over?

Retrospect will only automatically select the next tape under the following two conditions:

1. Running a script

2. Running an Immediate operation (manual) and the option to "Run Unattended" has been set from the Control menu.

There was an issue with an older version of Retrospect where it didn't appear that choosing the "Run Unattended" option was working. The issue was cosmetic only. If you choose Run Unattended your mouse icon should change to a square with internal flashing squares. This indicates the backup is running in unattended mode. I believe this issue has been fixed. That is to say, when you select "Run Unattended" you should now see that option actually selected in the menu.

One thing to note, if you select "Run Unattended" after the tape request has come up, you will probably still need to manually select the tape. The next needed tape should load automatically.

OK, so here is the goofy thing - I can run an immediate backup and I get the square with the flashing dots and if I look in the Control Menu it says "Run Unattended" but it still won't automatically load the next tape.

If I let the script execute normally I see the box with the flashing dots and in the control menu it won't let me change to Run Unattended - I think this is the bug you mentioned earlier. But ut still won't load the next tape.

So, am I missing something? Should I start over with fresh preferences? Could it be that I'm missing a driver or something?

Archived