Retrospect/XServe won't see Sony Lib-81 AIT-2 Tape Library

I am having trouble getting a pretty much plain vanilla Retrospect setting to work. Retrospect (Workgroup Edition 5.1 running on a new XServe w/ Mac OS X Server 10.2.8 ) will not see my Sony Lib-81 AIT-2 tape library in neither the "Storage Devices" nor the "Device Status" window.

There might be something wrong upstream as I can't see neither the Library nor the drive in Apple System Profiler either... - I can see the BTO SCSI card (ATTO OEM) twice actually, but this is mentioned in Apple's Tech Info library as "normal".

I tried setting different library/drive SCSI ID combinations for the library, such as 1/2, 5/2, 3/2 as suggested in various other postings (it came with 0/1). I am using a LVD SCSI VHDCI<->HP68M cable and the terminator that came with the library. It does not matter whether a tape is loaded into the drive or not.

Any ideas what could be wrong here? Dantz states that the library is fully qualified for Retrospect - I have installed the latest RDU (as of today) and the Retrospect SCSI update.

Best regards,

Rafael Kobylinski

Hi

You are right, this is pretty common hardware and it should work just fine. The fact that the device does not show up in ASP is a dead giveaway that something is wrong. Do you have another mac you could try to connect this loader to? Have you tried the SCSI card in the other PCI slot? Do you have the latest ATTO driver?

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

natew said:

You are right, this is pretty common hardware and it should work just fine. The fact that the device does not show up in ASP is a dead giveaway that something is wrong. Do you have another mac you could try to connect this loader to? Have you tried the SCSI card in the other PCI slot? Do you have the latest ATTO driver?

Nate

I will try to connect another SCSI device to this card next week.

Regarding the ATTO drivers, I didn't know I should look for them, as this is a brand new (BTO XServe arrived a few days ago), Apple provided OEM card. With drivers, do you mean Mac OS X kext drivers or Flash ROM updates for the card's built-in driver?

Thanks for taking the time and replying to my post,

Rafael

Archived